Canon Canada repair story

Started Dec 18, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Robert Drake Junior Member • Posts: 41
Canon Canada repair story

Just want to offer a warning for those thinking they're going to send their lenses off to Canon to check over and it will be smooth sailing.

I sent my "L" lens, still under warranty, to their Calgary service centre so they could have a look at it (soft focus). Called them when tracking said it arrived and they informed me it would take them a week to have a look at it. Three weeks passed without getting a callback, so I called and ended up leaving a message. No one returned my call after a couple days, so I tried again. Same thing. I did this daily for nearly two weeks. I'd call, end up leaving a message because I'm told no one can take my call.

Frustrated, I fax a letter off the the President of Canon Canada outlining my efforts to get information on when they'd look at my lens. A half hour after doing this, I get a message from Calgary saying they have my lens and would "rush" the "repair".

A week after this message, I get another message from Calgary saying they'd lost the lens (why they didn't replay to my messages??) and they have no replacements available for me. So, they offer me a refund of my purchase price (I bought it during a once a year Canon sale at Henrys). I fax off my receipt, and a letter stating that my purchase price wouldn't cover replacement costs or the expenses I've been through in dealing with them.

A week goes by and I get a cheque covering the purchase price, nothing else, not even an apology. I write to the assistant to the President of Canon saying this isn't very satisfactory and now two weeks later, no reply from her either.

I've posted my experience in other photography forums, and have gotten many replies from others who've experienced much the same level of service.

Canon makes great stuff, I own lots of their products, but good luck dealing with them if anything goes wrong.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LPG
LPG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow