iPhoto: Another Look!

Started Dec 10, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Clint Thayer
Clint Thayer Senior Member • Posts: 1,903
iPhoto: Another Look!

iPhoto contains some unique capabilities that are often overlooked. When compared to the exhaustive searching parameters found in Aperture, iPhoto does a decent job. I've collected for you some similarities about iPhoto and Aperture here for those who cannot afford to take the expensive plunge quite yet.

1. Exporting resized JPEGS: While neither program can preview re-scaling of images for web use, iPhoto does have a "maintain aspect ratio" function not available in Aperture. Click on Share---> Export and select file type. Type in the maximum height and width you want-- and the other size will be shown for you. So, if you select a width of 400 pixels, iPhoto will tell you what the height will be so you can plan this for your web page. This function does not appear on Aperture. Both programs provide auto sharpening for JPEG export.

2. Keywords: iPhoto keywords are maintained from iPhoto to Aperture. Tip: Choose "Get Info" from the finder on any Aperture or iPhoto image you exported and you'll see your keywords listed. However, keywords from Aperture are stripped out when exporting to iPhoto, even though both can be seen on the desktop with "get info".

3. Compare Tools: Even though Aperture trumps the competition in this category, did you know that iPhoto can have multiple edit windows open at the same time with a floating adjustment HUD? Just scale them to match your screen size. With my Imac 20", I can have THREE edit windows sharing a common HUD. When you click from one window to the other, the HUD controls update to each window quickly. Just duplicate your image within iPhoto, shift double click the comparisons and all comparison windows will come up.

This is really handy with portrait orientation images. Tip: Just click the "Control" key to quickly see before and after adjustments to your RAW conversion within iPhoto. When you are through, print it or export your favorite image and delete the versions you don't want to save disk space. Remember, the original RAW image still remains untouched.

4. Screen Scaling and Viewing: I have been critical about Aperture's lack of flexible screen scaling. iPhoto to the rescue! iPhoto has many options for screen scaling that are quick and easy. Instead of a single "Z" key which Aperture uses to zoom 100%, try this:

Choose your favorite full size RAW image and double click it. Select Window---> Zoom to fill your entire screen. Here is the power part: Click "0" on your numeric keypad to fit image to screen, click "1" on your numeric keypad for 100% view and then click "2" on your numeric keypad for 200% view! And, unlike Aperture, you can select from 5 different magnification options from the edit drop down view menu.

This is VERY important to me-- so when I make adjustments I can look back to see the big picture-- pull it in a little bit to see a bit larger-- and then finally 100% to make sharpening adjustments. And, just like Aperture, hold the space key down and you can drag the image around. Nice, eh?

A big plus for screen scaling in iPhoto..... Hooray!!!!

5. White balance: You already know that iPhoto has a WB temperature control slider in the floating HUD. Did you know that you can also "Command Click" any gray area on the screen with the cross hair pointer to set white balance? Better yet, click "1" on your keypad to enlarge and then find the best middle grey area first. Then Command Click to set your white balance. Use your temperature slider to taste.

Advanced: Duplicate your RAW image twice. Shift click all 3 to open three comparison windows. Align them side by side and perform 3 different WB comparison to taste. Choose your best and delete the redundant ones.

6. For Nikon Capture Users: Did you know that you can perform round trip conversion of RAW files outside of iPhoto and return a TIF version to import directly into iPhoto? Hint: Go into Nikon Capture ----> preferences and set OPEN SAVED FILES WITH iPhoto. Below that on the same screen choose your SAVE AS options. Choose TIF for best quality.

Workflow: Drag your RAW file image directly from iPhoto into the Nikon Capture icon in the dock at the bottom of your screen. Nikon Capture will open-- perform all of your RAW manipulations there. When you're done, select SAVE AS from the Capture file menu and click on "Open iPhotoAPP" in the dialogue box. Navigate to a folder that you want your TIF file to be backed up on your desktop. (you can delete this later).

CLICK SAVE: Your high resolution TIF image will be imported directly into iPhoto automatically and a backup TIF file will be stored in the folder or drive of your choice. Very convenient!

More hints and tips coming soon!

Clint

http://www.discoveryforyoureyes.com
http://homepage.mac.com/northwestphotos

Clint Thayer's gear list:Clint Thayer's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow