give this Nepali image a creative shot

Started Jun 17, 2005 | Discussions thread
Pam R Veteran Member • Posts: 3,421
Re: Nepal image workflow...PAM...please help to understand...

Hi Carsten,

Okay, as far as I understand, I now have the original image on the bottom layer, than the B&W image layer and then the gradient map adjustment layer. First of all, what does the gradient map do here?

The gradient map adjustment will turn the image into b+w, if you want to use it. If you'd like to convert using another method, skip that step. If you want to convert using the gradient map, first make sure your colors are set to default b+w (hit "D" to set them). Click on the "Create new adjustment layer" icon at the bottom of the layers palette then click on "Gradient map". If your image now looks like a negative, just open the gradient map dialog box and check "Reverse".

Now you should have 2 layers, the original on the bottom and the gradient map above. Open a new layer, then hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E. This is the "stamp visible" command and will place a snapshot of all work done up to this point on the new layer. So now you have, from top to bottom:

Layer 2 - B+W image
Layer 1 - Gradient map
Background - original color image

Okay...but in my workflow I still have the gradient map. Should I apply the gradient map to the B&W layer?

See above.

Okay...but I have to lower the opacitiy down to 25% - this is a bit more hen a "little", or am I doing something wrong? Adding a mask and painting on it is okay...

On mine, I lowered it to about 60%. But with practice, you'll find a setting that works for you. You want to be able to see where you'll be painting/lightening the image. I can see where you might have been led astray at this point. The image I show in step #5 is as I've started to paint, so it's lighter than the initial black layer setting. For example, here's what mine looked like after I lowered the opacity and before I started to paint:

That again sounds like a little secret - what are "some lighting effects"?

Sorry I was so vague. Sometimes I leave out important little details ; ) "Lighting effects" is a filter. To use this, first open a new layer and fill with 50% gray (Edit> Fill and choose 50% gray). Set the blending mode of this layer to Soft Light or Overlay. Now run Filter> Render> Lighting Effects. The settings I used were:

Style - default
Light type - Spotlight

Click on the white square in the "Light Type" section. This will pull up the color picker. You can choose a color for your light here, I used a light yellow. In the lighting effects preview window, click and drag the handles to resize the spread of the light and/or rotate it. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing what effect your settings will have on the image until you exit the dialog box. So experiment until you like what you see. Try changing blend modes and adjusting the opacity. Also, remember that you can add a layer mask to further control the effect by painting with a soft black brush.

Hope this helps clarify a little. If anything remains unclear, don't hesitate to ask. Sometimes my explanations get a little convoluted : )

-- hide signature --

Pam
http://www.pbase.com/pam_r
'art is working on something 'til you like it...then leaving it that way'

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GGB
Ash
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow