5D images from India - the best yet

Started Nov 5, 2005 | Discussions thread
karbert Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: Not to rain on the parade, but...

Hi,

Being an Indian, and having grown up with constant exposure to the poor, I have become quite oblivious to their plight. There was another poster from Ecuador who said the same thing. Moreover, what the photographs of India taken by most western photographers almost never convey, is the relatively high quality of life that the urban middle class Indian enjoys. I grew up surrounded by poverty, but was never affected by it. I lived in a comfy single family home with a 2-car garage, had 2 great parents, went to the best schools, and hunger was merely an abstract concept used in reference to the plight of poor people! Now, I live in the USA, and the transition to a suburban-starbucks-canon dSLR lifestyle was all too easy for me...and that is true for all my friends and relatives and millions of other Indians.

HOWEVER - photographs like the ones discussed here, move even me! It is easy to see how they would move people from first world countries, but I have been quite jaded by poverty. I think this is where photographs, whether artistic or journalistic in nature or intent, are important. A photograph has the ability to strip away the filters our mind places in front of our eyes, and allows us to see the world for what it is, or better still, what it could be. Artistic ability is important - the photos we are discussing here are brilliantly shot, with a vividness and life I do not see frequently. The use of wide-angle with superb bokeh isolates the subject without the compression that telephotos render, and exaggerates the presence of the subject, i.e the poor person, to great effect. The 3-d feel and brilliant B/W conversion only serve to deepen the impact.

Bottomline - photographs, especially artistically and technically superior ones, are important in raising awareness of not only the plight of poor people, but also in helping the viewer discover his own empathy and compassion. Art should not just move people, it should uplift them, and I think Juan Rodrigo has done so perfectly.
--
'Shoot first, ask questions later' - the novice photographer's philosophy.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow