What's the use of the DA12-24?

Started Oct 27, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
What's the use of the DA12-24?

Sometimes it's fun to start banging a hornets' nest with a stick...

I normally prefer 'wide' over 'tele' but on reflection I just can't imagine what to do with an 18mm 'equivalent' focal length (ie. the 12mm end of this lens)...

At this moment in time I can't really see the point of the 12-24mm zoom... as a zoom it appears to me to be fairly redundant because:

1. It doesn't reach up to 'standard lens' range so it will only ever be fitted as a 'wide' option and not left on the camera for 'normal' usage - in which case much of the 'convenience' of having a zoom is lost, so why not simply have a lighter and faster prime lens instead?

2. Everything from 16mm and above is already covered by other zoom lenses in Pentax's range, which do reach 'standard lens' ranges and so can remain on the camera in normal usage. So the 12-24 zoom will only really be fitted when you want to go from 12 to 16mm (or 18mm, depending)

So... if you want wider than your 18-55 or 16-45 (or 18-125 etc...) then why not just carry the smaller, faster DA14 or Zenitar instead? OK, neither reach 12mm, but apart from very large mountains, or indoors in very confined spaces what does one take pictures of at 12mm?

Seems like a lens targeted at Estate Agents (it's probably very good for making small rooms look large)...

Flame me!

parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
J_K
J_K
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow