Emergency Sensor Cleaner

Started Oct 23, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jinwoo Lee Contributing Member • Posts: 702
Emergency Sensor Cleaner

These things always happen in worse time. I was on my vacation in Puerto Rico and did not bring things other than essential photo equipment. I meant to clean the sensor prior to leaving home but forgot to do so as usual.

Leaving all the excitements of the airplane ride and driving in the strange place with very few English traffic signs behind, I was able to manage to take a few shots of sceneries this morning and noticed dreadful particles on the sensors. Not one or two, I counted at least eight.

Luckily, there was a Radio Shack near by so went out and bought a can of air spray. However, I could not blow off the particles as easy as used to. It must be the humidity that glued the particle to the sensor.

My initial assumption that a little bulb with tiny brush can loosen the particle was dead wrong. A few particles became a big ugly smudge. I just could not believe what I’ve just done. I had to calm down and think hard so that anything I do there on has to improve the situation not the other way around. I empty the camera bag on the bed and think about what I read on internet regarding the sensor cleaning. Then came up with the following apparatus from what I had. A folded 3X5 index card, a band aid, and a lens tissue became a perfect lens cleaning apparatus for the situation. Basically, I folded the 3X5 card twice then attach the folded lens tissue at the tip of the card using band aid. This provide nice even edge at the end while providing just enough rigidity. The result was impressive. I was able eliminate all the particles and smudges.

Vacation has been saved! I hope that anyone who is reading this will not get into this type of situation in first place but if you do, give a try when no options are left. Please note that I am not advocating this as your normal method of sensor cleaning. I am only suggesting a way if all else fails.

After Cleaning

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow