ISO 3200 Images, not bad

Started Oct 22, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
racehorse in the desert Veteran Member • Posts: 4,103
ISO 3200 Images, not bad

Okay now, no pixel-peeping. There is noise here. I am merely pointing out what can be done with our little D/DS/DS2/DL cameras. ISO 3200 allows images, that while imperfect, would be otherwise nearly impossible with film.

I was asked to take some live shots during a concert at Gammage Auditorium, on the Arizona State University Campus (mentioned a couple of times previously). My assignment was to document the event, not to produce award-winning photos. I gave them about 71 processed images.

The auditorium is very dark, and of course, no flash. So, ISO 3200 and a couple of good lenses for the attempt. Shot with DS, RAW, processed with ACR, no real adjustments necessary, some sharpening in RAW, no noise processing performed. All hand held. The lighting was tungsten but AWB did a pretty good job. Had two cameras and mainly used two lenses, the 16-45mm and the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, along with the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for some shots. Comments welcome.
w/16-45mm lens at 36mm, f4, 1/45 sec. This one printed very well as an 8 x 10.

w/Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 at 200mm, 1/125 sec, f2.8, hand held. Just one of the other images. The original is very sharp! Love this lens. Have no problem holding it.

-- hide signature --

John Power
Racehorse in the Desert

Useful Links to Past Pentax Forum Threads and some Exceptional Images are at: http://www.solutns.com/pages/pentaxforum.html

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow