new d200 spec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started Oct 22, 2005 | Discussions thread
DRG Veteran Member • Posts: 5,217
Very unrealistic

TimK5 wrote:

Right! At $1700 it will be competing against the 20D. But it should
compete against the 20D-update. Do you really think that the
20D-update is going to have only 2 MP more?

I know FF isn't everything (at the current stage I would prefer DX
for quality), but what if Canon uses an updated 11 MP sensor from
the 1Ds. Or more likely the 5D sensor in a cheap Rebel body. FF is
a huge psychological thing. The D200 would be dead in the water.

This completely ignore the economics of full-frame. The replacement for the 20D is certainly not going to downgrade the build quality and features of the existing model. At the same time, the 5D is really only a 20D with full-frame and very few other differences in either build quality or features (really just the larger LCD and some software differences). So, a 20D upgraded to FF is a 5D. It is almost certain that the 20D successor will be APS-C. I imagine a small resolution increase (to avoid giving up Canon's reputation for low noise at high ISO) with a move to the improved LCD, the addition of Picture Styles and the 5D's playback enhancements, perhaps the addition of ISO in the viewfinder (again, a la the 5D) and perhaps a larger buffer and interchangeable focusing screens. Economically, full-frame in a $1500 camera is literally impossible (as the sensor assembly alone would likely cost more than this).

David

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
JC
JC
MOD TOF guy
HAE
DRG
(unknown member)
AFS
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
thw
Fer
thw
Fer
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow