new d200 spec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started Oct 22, 2005 | Discussions thread
Walter S Matthews Veteran Member • Posts: 3,311
Mega Pixel count is irrelevant w/o good ISO

The Nikon line of SLR digital cameras, and I have owned and shot professionally with 4 of them, have all had a major failing in my book which is
---Poor to terrible performance at high ISO.

I current shoot the D2X as my main camera with Flash at weddings and I worry about the noise/grain look I will be delivering in the formal shots every weekend I shoot a wedding if I have to move to ISO 400. Sure, some of the noise can be removed but it is always at the expense of real resolution and the top of the line, the D2X is just terrible at 800, worse at 1600, and as far as I am concerned a joke at 3200.

Go through the list of high end digital SLR's from Nikon and none of them, absolutely none of them, is even close to acceptable at high ISO. I have heard that the D50 is pretty good at high ISO and I do not own one nor have I looked at it. I sincerely hope it is true because it would suggest that Nikon is finally sensitive to the issue.

I own and unfortunately I am falling in love with a Canon 5D and I have already shot two weddings in low light at ISO 1600 with it and the images are beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I have a huge investment in Nikon glass and I want and need low light performance at iso 1600 and 3200 and if the next generation of Nikons does not deliver on that score, 10MP or 22 MP, I don't care, I need high ISO performance and Nikon has yet to deliver it in a professional 'SLR and, for reasons that I just do not understand, no on one here seems to even care about it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
JC
JC
MOD TOF guy
HAE
DRG
(unknown member)
AFS
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
thw
Fer
thw
Fer
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow