Sony R1 almost got me. A short essay in praise of A2.

Started Oct 21, 2005 | Discussions thread
OP D G Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Re: Sony R1 almost got me. A short essay in praise of A2.

I agree geeno. The A2 is designed as a photographer's tool. I've got a pentax *ist DS DSLR also, and a ricoh for a pocket camera. I like them all but the A2 is for some reason sort inspiring to use. I got it when I decided to completely give up film and wanted to replace my Bessa R rangefinder with something that handled nice, so I took a chance on the A2 after reading up on it and I haven't regretted it.

Even though it's a modern digital zoom camera there's something about it that reminds me of a traditional small rangefinder or SLR. Like a leica, or olympus OM, or Canon A1. Strange because it's about as high tech as you can get. To me that means there were photographers involved in designing it.

That's another thing about the Sony. I'm not sure I trust it to have that photographer vibe about it, whereas a company like Minolta is all about photography. Even the look of the R1 is more like a video camera. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just different. I'm not convinced it's for me anyway.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow