Sony R1 almost got me. A short essay in praise of A2.

Started Oct 21, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
D G Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Sony R1 almost got me. A short essay in praise of A2.

I've been interested in Sony's R1 since it came out and in an impulsive fit, pumped by idea of a waistlevel camera with big sensor, I pre-ordered one from Sony yesterday.

..And cancelled the order today.

I went home, started looking at my A2 files, and took out the A2 went and took a couple snaps, and suddenly the R1 seemed like a waist of money. For me. I'm not saying it's not a nice camera, nobody really knows yet.

I keep coming back to the A2. Of course it's not perfect, but for what I do, the only real drawback, higher ISO noise, hasn't been a problem and in most other respects the camera is just so brilliantly designed IMO, that the tradeoff is worth the bit of extra thinking required to work around that issue. Usually it is a non-issue because I don't do action photography in dim light anyway.

I guess what it comes down to is that I really like the size, weight, adjustability, focal length reach, and image quality of the A2.

Everyday something new comes out that promises certain improvements and it's easy to get swept away with the latest thing and the marketing machine.

Taking stock of what the A2 offers, I realized that the R1 isn't offering that much more, and in some areas it is offering less. Large sensor - certainly a good thing-, but along with it, more size, more weight, more lense size, less reach, less features, less EVF resolution and no movie mode (sorry, but it IS nice to have). And speaking of IS... no image stabilization.

When the product is released, maybe it will be amazing, but until that's proven, the A2 is still the top non-SLR digital camera in my book.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow