Reflections on noise

Started Oct 1, 2005 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,333
samples seem so inconclusive

Some of the ISO200 samples do not show a lot of noise, and here even the noise in the blue (refected) sky isn't too bad.

But then one of the first images Phil showed had two women in a store and it was ISO 160 and the noise was terrible. It almost looked like the color on the women's legs was fading away.

I am considering an FZ30 instead of a 70-300IS lens for my DRebel, and if noise levels are on par with the best shots shown here it looks acceptable, but if the noise level is on par with some awfully noisy samples shown here it's not good.

If only it was clear what the skill is one needs to get the less noisy images and avoid the noisy ones... but maybe shooting RAW is the way to start (which I'm doing with my DRebel anyway). Surely the noise can be controlled better by a good RAW converter than by the camera.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the DRebel (only around 17.000 shots)
Public pictures at http://wwwis.win.tue.nl/~debra/photos/

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow