A story about loss and recovery of images

Started Sep 18, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ash Mishra Contributing Member • Posts: 579
A story about loss and recovery of images

I want to share some experience recovering photos I thought I had lost for good.

Back in August I got engaged in Regent's Park, London UK. I had my Pentax with me and some shots of the park and my fiancee. The day was lovely, and the photos are very precious to me.

About a week ago I was moving my photo library from one drive partition to another; and I thought that the library had fully been transferred - when in fact the new partition didn't have enough disk space, and I lost all my August photos On the old partition, I deleted the old photo library, and copied over my music collection; which in effect overwrote the data from the old library. This was before I realized my move of the library wasn't complete. So no endless amount of trying data recovery software worked for me; until this morning when I thought maybe I could recover the data on the SD card.

So I connected the DS to my laptop, and ran recovery programs on the mounted USB drive. I wasn't having much luck until I found a program called PhotoRescue ( http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/download_mac.htm ).

Imagine my surprise and elation when it was scanning the USB mount, it found 118 deleted photos !! Scrolling through them, the application even renders thumbnail images of the PEF files! It found hundreds of photos from a trip I took in March to Greece, and the 14 photos from the day of my engagement. Unbelievable .. awesome, and happy days! I had to buy the program to recover them -- but $29 US is a small price to pay to recover what are to me, going to be priceless photos.

So I'm very happy man again, I've got my photos back; and I've learned my valuable lesson. I've got a backup drive, and I'm going to use it more often.

If you ever lose images, try recovering them on your SD card - they could very well still be there.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow