5D grip extension

Started Sep 14, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
madtc Junior Member • Posts: 35
5D grip extension

When I got my 5D I was pleased to see that it was nearly the same size as my beloved A2. I know it takes time to adjust to a new camera but the 5D grip just didn't seem to fit right. The shutter release was too far back and my thumb didn't fall in the right place. I spent most of the day shooting pics in the house and yard trying out all the functions. I hadn't even bothered to put the strap on yet. This means I was gripping my new 5D in my right hand for hours.

By the end of the day and especially the next morning my little finger was killing me. I had been semi-supporting the camera with this finger while gripping with the others. This is basically how I use my A2. But the A2 is a featherweight compared to the 5D and this really makes a difference. Of course I had been holding the thing wrong all along. When I put my thumb in the proper place my entire grip shifted downward and now my index finger fell naturally on the shutter release just as the engineers intended. Now the corner of the camera was in my palm and I was pinching it with two fingers and thumb. No doubt I could get used to this, but I thought I would try something else first.

I traced out the shape of the bottom of thr 5D onto a 5/8" piece of wood and cut it out. I painted it with black "texture paint" and attached it with a nylon bolt.

My extended grip now feels fantastic; it fits my hand perfectly and really hasn't added any weight.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrf
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow