[guide] ----- D70 in the Studio: Portrait with Strobes

Started Jun 15, 2005 | Discussions thread
OP tao.design Veteran Member • Posts: 5,632
Moray, motion and strobes.

Hey Moray,

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. I'm still learning how to light -- I've been so keen on natural light portraiture recently that I forget how to light in between sessions. But now that summer is coming to and end and the sun is getting lower in the sky, I'm sure I'll be back in the studio, working on my technique soon enough.

I just picked up some reflectors relatively recently. Most of those older samples were done without reflectors, but I'm having fun with them. Though not with strobes, here's a recent portrait I shot with a gold litedisc:

I guess I'd be using the modelling lamps of the strobes for ambient
light, so there might be an issue of colour balance between the
strobe-lit main image and the modelling lamp-lit blur trail.

I think you're on the right track here. I've never shot with the intention of making blur, and lighting a scene with 100% flash light will freeze motion, due to the very short duration of the flash.

Aside from the difference in color temperature between the flash bulbs and the modeling lights, another issue will be the output -- even dialed down, the strobes are going to be putting out much more light than the modeling bulbs, in most cases.

Instead of using the modeling bulbs, perhaps a higher output setup of continuous lighting would be better, and using your monolights as "fill" of sorts, to freeze some of the motion while still allowing for some nice blur.

I'll get back to you if I think of anything else. Let me know how the shoot works out, I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Todd

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Gov
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow