Still on fence about 5D

Started Sep 1, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
matt carson New Member • Posts: 21
Still on fence about 5D

I am a longtime canon shooter, serious non-pro. Have an EOS 5 and a 1n. Been waiting to buy my first DSLR for 2-3 years now, always hoping for the next camera to have what I want. For various reasons which have been discussed to great lenghts in this forum, I think the 5D is getting close to what I want.

My complaint is the the build quality. It appears that the 5D is similar in build to my EOS 5, which is not poorly built by any stretch (except for the command dial....). My point is I think I paid about $650 for that body when it was in production new. I purchases the 1n when it was the top of the line for $1100. Thats a $450 dollar cost premium for the construction upgrade and the focus and other enhancements, which means the cost to Canon is probably in the $150 to $250 dollar range in manufacturing costs (if that).

So, my question is why can't I have the 5D in a 1n quality body for roughly $3500 (since I am sure the 5D will be at the $3000-3100 range fairly quickly).

I am sure there are some reasons, but they escape me. I will wait to check out the camera, but I only want to buy one DSLR for at least 5 years, not upgrade every model. My film SLR's have lasted over 10 years with little trouble. (I know comparing apples and oranges).

Maybe I will just wait for the "3D" which I hope will have a bit better construciton and a sensor cleaning feature. Like I said, each new camera gets me closer to what I want for the price they cost!

Regards,

Matt

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow