20D - improved Katz Eye focsuing screen - Part 1/1

Started Aug 13, 2005 | Discussions thread
PN Regular Member • Posts: 234
Canon sells the original 20D matte screen for 4,05 Euros + VAT

I pass this information without any judgement on the pricing policy of Haoda or Rachael.

This information is from a German message board, where a repair service ordered matte screens for people with scratched matte screens (due to bad attempts of cleaning them). E.G., tooling these screens for horizontal and vertical lines (for architecture ...) with a CNC machine should be very easy and that screen would have no effect on the metering. However, whether Canon would accept bulk orders for the spare part is another question.

Ignoring the existence of commercialized screens, I handtooled myself a Contax FU-4 matte screen to the size of the 20D screen. I cut it with a Dremel (electric disc saw, my favorite tool), thinking that would be easier than the cut&break approach. I bought that screen for 5 Euros on ebay, I thought it would be OK, because some guy claimed it fit perfectly for the 20D. The truth is that it gives me a slight front focus. Another German guy tooled a Nikon screen and had the same problem and additionnally removed part of the edge so that it would go deeper into the camera. I did not go that far. I guess that Haoda uses screens not requiring such a treatment (in which case only the cutting of the external edge is required, the easy part). The same person said that Ricoh screens fit better the 20D.

As to Rachael's secrets, I really wonder what she uses. Haoda's approach seems easy to immitate, given a fairly simple CNC machine. The (for stupid me) more tricky part is the source of screens.

Given that the operation was not difficult and that yes, I use manual focus in low light with fast lenses, I am confused whether I should really invest 100+ USD into a part of a potentially better quality.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SPy
swp
SPy
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow