Auto off and battery usage

Started Aug 29, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Walter S Matthews Veteran Member • Posts: 3,311
Auto off and battery usage

I shoot weddings on weekends with the S3 for fun and sometimes for profit and there was a post that you can keep the vertical shutter release button active by turning of the auto off system in the camera that shuts the camera down after a specific amount of time. It is in the extra set up menu, custom menu they call it, that you find on the mode dial just before the ISO location.

I set the system so that it does not shut down and shot a wedding this weekend with that setting.

Normally I am able to shoot about 450 or so shots before the batteries run out and I normally plan to replace the batteries after the wedding and formals and before the reception starts. Normally that puts me some 350 to 400 shots into the wedding and there is plenty of time to get it done then. By the way, and sort of off topic, but I carry the quantum battery that has the auxiliary power chord so that I can keep the camera going if I need to keep shooting and don't have time to change the batteries.

Well, after about 200 shots the first set of NiMHydrides 2300 mAhr died. the second set died after about 230 shots and the third set died just as the reception was ending at about 190 shots and I finished up with the Quantul back up since my fourth set of batteries was in my S2 which I had not used very much but the Quantum was just easier.

Conclusion, indeed the vertical shutter stayed active and I ended up accidentally shooting the camera with it about five times and unfortunately for me, I completely forgot to use the shutter to actually take a picture. Oh well, habits are hard to break and I have learned to get along without it and from now on the camera goes back into auto shut off mode.....

Just thought some of you might like to know...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow