20D - improved Katz Eye focsuing screen - Part 1/1

Started Aug 13, 2005 | Discussions thread
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,422
Just installed my Katz Eye screen

Came today...yay! The installation, following Doug's instructions, was quite easy. Except that I managed to install the screen wrong-side-up the first time and had to do it over again. When I removed the screen to flip it over the shim fell out too so I had to put that back in as well. But it's all set now and the screen works great.

Here are two test shots with my modded 20D and two of my favorite Pentax M42 screwmount lenses. I took the first with an SMC Takumar 135mm f/2.5, lens wide open. The subject matter is my usual long-distance test target: a church building about 80m from my backyard fence.

And here's a full-res crop from the point-of-focus:

Note that this is a lens not designed for flat-out performance wide open. Pentax lenses typically trade off some resolution & contrast at wider apertures for smooth out-of-focus rendition (bokeh). Yet it's still pretty darn good. Note also that it cost me US$75.

I took the second shot with a Super Takumar 55mm f/2, also wide open. This is a late Super Tak with the same coating technology as the SMC (Super MultiCoated) version. I deliberately put my dad in front of a busy background to see what the out-of-focus character would be like.

And again a full-res crop from the point-of-focus (the glasses):

I think the 55mm will make a very nice portrait lens on the 20D. Again it's not razor sharp wide open but this is a plus for people pics. Cost: US$25.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Pentax 645Z Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SPy
swp
SPy
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow