Sigma SD10 VS Kodak 14N Image quality?

Started Aug 9, 2005 | Discussions thread
halidedream Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Are you kidding man? Wohow...

"Independent comparisons of quality tend to rate the Foveon X3 sensor as equivalent to a Bayer sensor of double the photosite count.

... advantage is largely overcome by the math required to reconstruct color information from the Foveon sensor, which results in a Foveon sensor with very large photosites often being unable to equal the low light performance of more conventional sensors with half the photosite area.

...the question of whether to count each stack of three photosensors as a pixel, versus counting each individual single-color photosensor as a pixel as is done in Bayer-mosaic sensors, has been a point of controversy for Foveon X3 sensors and for the specifications of cameras that use them. For example, the Sigma SD10, which produces a native RAW file size of 3.4 Million RGB pixels, is advertised as a 10.2 MP camera, sometimes with the clarification 3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue; an 8 MP Bayer-mosaic camera would similarly be clarified to be 2 MP Red + 4 MP Green + 2 MP Blue"(source wikipedia.org)

Marketing is a wonderful tool. If you feel the sigma resolution is enough for your needs, then it is. I feel that it is a wonderful 6mp camera and a great look toward what is possible, but not applicable for my needs. I too often get a request for a large image. I was just asked to quote a bid for some product shots and they were very wary of even 14 mpix image quality as being insufficient for trade show posters. For some prints for a studio show that I am having in October, I am printing images at 24x36 of dancers painted with henna. I need the detail to show and the Kodak does a great job of that. But even it is being pushed to its limits. To each their need, to each their solution. For me the sigma is not the optimal quality, but I hope that foveon can get their act together and get a better sensor out with one more generation.

all the best,
Gregory

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
4C
spm
JLK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow