20D - improved Katz Eye focsuing screen - Part 1/1

Started Aug 13, 2005 | Discussions thread
jrsforums Senior Member • Posts: 1,134
Re: I cannot imagine how long that took to test!

I don't think that Doug said that "meter calibration" was required. Maybe some EC if you use the center pt. evalutive or partial. CWA seemed spot on.

I don't know about you, but I am constantly tweaking EC in evalutive. Not on generally lighted scenes (which CEA can also handle just fine), but on tough ones. For example, the interior of a church with a bright window on the upper edge of a scene. Evalutive seems to always under expose to not blow out that one area....but then I cannot get what I really want...the inside of the church. And backlighted scenes, where you never get the subject properly exposed...without tweaking...or fill flash, but then that needs some too.

Quite frankly, I am getting to feel that evalutive is nothing more than CWA with protection for people who do not want to bother to adjust to get the lighting they want. Kind of the point and shoot crowd...except they have enough $$s to afford nice looking big cameras with interchangeable lenses. Seems, if the rumors of one on the new Canon cameras is correct, Canon sees this too...why else would (if true) they not even include RAW capability.

ANyway, I hope no one takes this wrong as there are lots of people in this hobby, for lots of reasons, and each want, need and/or are will to explore/extend to different levels. However, I would think that the buyer of the focus screen is some one who is willing to expend the add'l effort to manually focus their lens to get the focus they want and are willing to get a screen to assist in this. They are going to be willing to adjust the EC to get the right lighting and are going to practice to get knowledgeable about their equipment and scenes to know what EC is needed on will check the display and/or histogram to see what is needed.

What the buyer cannot adjust for is if the design of the focus screen cannot easily be used with some of their lenses. If all your lenses are constant f2.8 you can probably use any focus screen. If you are like me and have a mix of lenses that go up to f5.6...and maybe use a Kenko 1.4x which will extend that to f8.0....you will have problems with most of the screens out there. From Doug's report, the new Katz Eye screen seems to have solved that.

Kinda makes me glad I have one on order....and it seems they are now shipping....so, maybe soon... I know that I will spend the time need to get use to it. I do expect that most of my metering will be with CWA...and, as usual, tweak the scene with EC as required.

John

jrsforums's gear list:jrsforums's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SPy
swp
SPy
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
PN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow