DA 50-200 vs. Sigma 55-200

Started Aug 2, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richx Senior Member • Posts: 1,227
DA 50-200 vs. Sigma 55-200

Hey guys

Thought I might ask this question. I'm not going to be able to afford either of the 2 mentioned lenses anytime soon, as I am a college student already gone broke buying the DS + kit lens. However, a medium zoom is on my list after the FA 50/1.7, if I can find one for a reasonable price.

The DA 50-200 and Sigma 55-200 offer identical brightness, nearly identical focal lengths. The Pentax however, is smaller and lighter. If anyone here has tried both of them, I would like to know which one focuses better (faster, more accurately, noise?) with the DS, prices and its difference in your country, and any other major performance differences?

I'm inclined towards the DA of course, but I have no idea where I can get one and how much it'll cost me. Somehow the thought of a medium telephoto lens that can almost be mistaken as a kit lens is appealing. Fits with the concept of Pentaxes being small and light (and that being one of the reasons why I bought the DS, and not D50). The Sigma I can get my friends in Australia to help me get one for a cost which I could work towards.

Any tips offered is much appreciated

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow