f8, I am ONLY going to shoot at f8

Started Jul 18, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tivoboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
f8, I am ONLY going to shoot at f8

So, after three weeks of using the 20d, I can come to some conclusions. I won't go into detail about DOF, or paramaters, or the need to PP, or L series lens quality and "necessity" to get the best shots.

not to mention auto-focus concerns, focus points, pushing ISO or other. These things are subjective and can be changed, debated and worked out on a user per user basis,

but, one conclusion I HAVE come to is the following:

ALWAYS SHOOT AT f8!

I don't know what it is, but every time I get a great shot, regardless of lens, 50 1.8 mk1, 28-135 IS, 70-210 3.5 (I know, how OLD is this guy) 85. 1.8, I find I am looking at the shot details and see, that as long as the shot is above a buck and a quarter 1/125+ and in focus, at f8, BOOM BABY, contrast, nice DOF, awesome sharpness, excellent detail, etc.

I have even gone so far as to bracket, and MANUALLY go up and down the stops, to check out 10.00 and 11, or 22, or 5.6, or 2.8 or 2.2. Not having to push the ISO to get good light, I continue to get ROCIN' images at f8.

What IS it? Is this just the sweet spot for the 20d? I'll post some images so others can check it out, but damb, this seems to be some wierd anomoly but one I can continue to work towards. Just put the puppy on AV, set it at f8, push the ISO if need be, hit the AWB as necessary and shoot shoot away.

thoughts?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow