WTF? 50mm 1.8 lens falls apart on the body?!?

Started Jun 20, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rylee Junior Member • Posts: 28
WTF? 50mm 1.8 lens falls apart on the body?!?

I was planning on doing some routine maintenance on the lens and body (a little blower action, a little eclipse, etc.)

When I tried to take off the lens from the body - it was stuck!?

I tried to lock it back in and then again remove it and as I rotate the lens, about half way - it's stuck again. I try to focus with it (and it's all messed up)

Finally, I decide, o.k., the camera is unusable, let me see if I put a little elbow grease on it, if it will come undone.

With a little difficulty, the lens does finally come off - much to my surprise, the entire plastic back of the lens is still sitting (loosely) in the camera body. I pull it up, look for any broken or loose pieces and then put it on the back of the lens. It snaps into place and now looks like it is locked in there.

I check for any broken or loose pieces in the body - place the lens back on (brave I know). I can now remove and lock the lens (as it should be).

I take some test pictures. Keep in mind, that I was extremely happy with this lens. It took very very very sharp pictures indoors of my kids, etc. I could swear that my 18-55 kit lens now takes sharper pics. The pictures on the 50 prime seem a bit out of focus now. Also, the lens looks a little crooked sitting on the camera body.

Of course I bought the lens about 45 days ago, so returning it to the store is out of the question.

I'm planning on going to the Canon service center this week (I live near one). Besides the above history, what should I be looking for? Will they just swap my lens with another refurb? How long will it take? What should I be asking them, etc. I really loved this lens. Perhaps this is a sign, I should upgrade to a 50 1.4.

Thoughts? Comments?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow