[guide] ----- D70 in the Studio: Portrait with Strobes

Started Jun 15, 2005 | Discussions thread
Raymond Bradlau
Raymond Bradlau Veteran Member • Posts: 5,736
Re: Hey Ray, about f/3.6-4.0...

tao.design wrote:

Thanks for the context of your question, I see where you're coming
from. How do you find digital as compared to your medium format
gear in general, aside from the transition issues you mentioned?
Satisfied?

So far its been very positive, I bought the D2h as an addition to film (action, direct to print type sales, event work) but find I use it much more than I ever thought. I never print huge, 10x15 often but almost never larger and what I loose in actually detail I feel I can make up for in color, contrast by keeping the control myself from a digital workflow. I do miss waist level finders, and even the way MF gear works, I liked the way it would slow you down (It was not this new AF stuff I used RB's and Bronica ETRsi's) Oh and I really really like B&W film, I think digital can be great and maybe even "better" at it, but there is just something special about real B&W (I print my own) that I love.

I really need to start printing digital B&W myself, Ive read how you can change over the inks in an Epson to all mono and get some stunning prints.

I believe the Alien Bees B800 has an output of 320 true watt
seconds. At about ten feet, I'm getting f/3.6-4.0, depending on
whether I take a step forward or backward. Hopefully my sense of
distance isn't so far off as to make that inaccurate.

Great, thats perfect I did not need an exact figure, Im sure that even 2 of the same sized soft boxes from different vendors will vary a stop or 2

Ah, gotcha. Yep, with ISO 200 as the base for the D70 and D2H
cameras, and most likely the D100 successor as well, I can see the
problem. I guess that's just another one of the blessing/curses of
the sensors Nikon is using, the crop factor among them.

I cant complain, the D2h is not a "fine art" camera, even if it is capable of producing it in the right hands, and 98% of the time 200 iso is better due to faster shutter speeds and more DOF with my long lenses than 50 or 100 would be. (I shoot motor sports also).

I would like something like a D2x to have 25 iso, not that it needs to have better image quality there but for doing long exposures and shallow DOF stuff, I just think it would be a nice feature

So far I've been pleased with the Alien Bees products. The strobes
themselves are great. The accessories, less so.

I will give them a look, will the AB's only take their own modifiers?

thanks again
Ray

Todd

-- hide signature --
 Raymond Bradlau's gear list:Raymond Bradlau's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D5 Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Gov
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow