[guide] ----- D70 in the Studio: Portrait with Strobes

Started Jun 15, 2005 | Discussions thread
OP tao.design Veteran Member • Posts: 5,632
5 / Triggering the Strobes

5 / Triggering the Strobes

Unfortunately, the D70 does not feature a dedicated connection for a PC-type sync chord. Luckily, there are several options available for triggering strobes with the D70.

I use a simple Nikon AS-15 flash adaptor for my setup, which fits into the hotshoe and allows the use of a PC-type sync cord for cameras without a PC socket.

While some older-model strobes posed some danger to cameras without using a voltage-protected flash adaptor, modern units like the Alien Bees are perfectly safe in combination with the AS-15 adaptor.

My typical setup is using the camera in corded operation to the keylight. If I'm using a second light, that strobe is set to slave mode and fires whenever the keylight is fires.

This method of triggering the lights means that the camera is always tethered to the strobe via a PC-type sync cord, which may or may not conflict with one's preferred shooting style. The downside to using the cheap and effective sync-chords is that they can get in the way, and depending on the studio space, the length of the chords may be prohibitive.

One alternative to using the camera cabled to a strobe unit is to use the onboard flash to trigger the strobes. Most strobe units possess a dedicated sensor to detect flash light and can be set to fire whenever they detect another flash fire. However, the reliability of this firing method is dependent on several factors, including the sensitivity of the slave-triggers on the strobes, the output from the camera-attached flash, and the line of sight/reflecting angles of the room.

Another option is to use a radio or IR transmitter with an appropriately equipped strobe for completely wireless operation. These transmitters fit into the D70's hotshoe and fire appropriately equipped strobes just as reliably as if the two were in wired operation.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Ed
Gov
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow