Is 1.3x sensor the answer Canon must not think so.

Started Jun 6, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
swp Regular Member • Posts: 361
Is 1.3x sensor the answer Canon must not think so.

I keep hearing everyone talk about the 1.3x sensor of the 1D as the great compromise and perhaps the sensor of the future. I have one problem with that Canon must not think so because we have a 10-22 for the 1.6 sensor giving us a wide end equivalent to 16mm on FF but no wide solution for the 1D. The widest available for the 1D without going to specialty lenses would be the 14mm which would work out to 18mm on the 1.3x sensor. So we seem to have more complete solutions for the FF and 1.6 sensors. So hope may spring eternal but I think the 1.3x is not a long term strategy at Canon. My money is going with 1.6 into the future with FF surviving till they can figure out away to get 22 relatively noise free megapixels (or maybe 10 foveon like megapixels) stuffed on a 1.6 sensor and sooner or later they will. So maybe Nikon is making the bold move this time? After all I'm old enough to remember all the fuss and doom saying when Canon had the balls to change there lens mount as I recall they said it was the thing to do for the future of there lenses and maybe smaller sensors is the right thing to do too.

Scot Perry

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
swp
swp
swp
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow