Spotlight Question

Started May 6, 2005 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,586
That totally works, great idea

SlideShowBob wrote:

Did you try Automator? You could use the "Add Spotlight Comments to
Finder Items" workflow. Would that do the trick?

Hey, that was a great idea! That totally works, I created an automator workflow with just the "Add spotlight comments" action and drug a few files into it. I fed in my own unique string and right after running it spotlight found those files I had tagged.

The interesting thing about this is that just a few days earlier I had tried to do the same thing using extended attributes (for the same reason as the original poster), and the xattr command obtained from the Ars Technica review. I figured that any extended attributes I had added would be picked up by Spotlight - sadly not so! Perhaps only certain extended attributes are picked up.

After running the Automator action to add comments, I tried listing extended attributes of the file and it found one:

com.apple.FinderInfo

But this appeared to have no value - I imagine it really just has a value the command line utility is not fond of returning but that Finder can read, which is a little sad as I would like to be able to tag files from the command line (but I'm sure there is a way).

I'm not sure what the downside is to using this finder comments deal, it does seem like if you tag it wrong it's a bit annoying to fix. You can always have the comment overwrite if you like though so I guess that's a way to fix it.

Thanks again for the great idea, and for piking my curiosity enough to load Automator for the first time.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow