File numbering problem in Canon 20D

Started Apr 18, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gilo Junior Member • Posts: 30
File numbering problem in Canon 20D

I got myself a brand new Canon 20D in a (apparently reputable) shop in Singapore the other day. When I downloaded in my PC the first few test images I had taken with the newly purchased 20D, I noticed with disappointment that the first image was downloaded as MG_7148. And the others with progressive numbers thereon. When I checked the file info, I noticed that the folder number was 171. The manual states clearly that the first folder's name is 100 and that the numbering of the images should start with 0001.

The files' names I got made me think, of course, that the camera is far from new, considering also that I had noticed some black dots in the view finder which turned out be be dust on and around the mirror.

I talked to the shop but they were not able to tell me much apart from generically attributing the fault to the CF card. Canon Philippines (where I reside) were not able to give me a proper answer either. I then called Canon Singapore, and they said that this may be caused by the fact that I had inserted a CF card which had been formatted in another camera and which was not new. As a consequence, the 20D may have read it in an abnormal way and given this numeration. It is to be noted however that the last image I took with my previous camera was number 0843: nowehere near 7000!

I would therefore like to know the following:

1. Is there any way I can know exactly how many shots have actually been taken by the camera, irrespective of the CF card used? If 7,000 shots have actually been taken I should ask in fact for the unit to be replaced with a 'really' new one, or a discount of at least 50% on the price paid.

1. Assuming that the problem was indeed caused by the CF card and that the camera has not taken more than a few test shots, how do I reset the count to zero? In fact, even if I re-format the card again and again, the numbering is still counting from the original 7148. And of course I don't want to change the 'continuous' setting of the numeration, because I would have files with the same name.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.
Gilo

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow