Widest view on D or DS

Started Jan 5, 2005 | Discussions thread
Brett St Pierre
Brett St Pierre Veteran Member • Posts: 7,024
Angle of View (Zenitar -v- DA14 -v- DA16-45)

Lance dropped over today so I we could run a quick test. Set the *istD up on a tripod to keep the positioning correct. Architectual shots are the last thing I would choose the Zenitar for but it was the best subject matter in a pinch to measure angle of view.

As you can see the Zenitar is widest of the 3. By a smidgen in the case of the DA14 but by a reasonable amount in the case of the DA16-45. A careful look shows that the extra AoV appears mostly to be in the four corners of the image.

As I said before, I don't see the Zenitar as a real replacement for the DA14 because of it's distortion but I think I showed in the other shots (bridge & arcade) you can get some very wide shots that don't reveal the distortion. $100 of fun

Interesting to note that with these images (RAW > TIFF16 > JPEG) the only post editing [besides resizing] was "auto levels" in Photoshop and a bit of USM. Interesting in that the colour and contrast are not massively different across these 3 lenses.

Also interesting is the black shadow of a lamp on the lower right. I have noticed before that the DA14 stretches things a bit out of shape in the corners. The Zenitar, probably because of the optical design where it is distorting straight lines on the edges actually better shows shapes in the corners (?)

To answer another question, I also put my Tamron SP17/3.5 on my Pentax 35mm SLR and although I can't show you an image, Lance and I can both confirm that combination is wider still (as you would expect). I suspect the Zenitar gives an angle of view on the Pentax DSLRs equal to about 19mm on a 35mm SLR.

Further down you will see a crop from each image in a rough attempt to get an idea as to optical quality. Of course the 16-45 has higher magnification to the other 2 but the Zenitar surprised me by holding it's own in terms of contrast and resolution.

DA 16-45 @ f/8

Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye @ f/8

DA14/2.8 @ f/8

DA 16-45 (Crop)

Zenitar 16.2,8 Fisheye (Crop)

DA 14/2.8 (Crop)

Anything else I can add?

-- hide signature --

Brett

The Journey is the Thing

Brett St Pierre's gear list:Brett St Pierre's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow