How do you do this?

Started Jan 2, 2005 | Discussions thread
OP netspots Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
Re: "Depth of Field"


proto23 wrote:

Grab your manual, and read up on the depth of field preview
function. All of the lenses you mention will be able to produce a
blurred background to varying degrees, I'm guessing the 50mm will
have the most pronounced effect.

You can definitely achieve a shallow depth of field with the 50mm
at f/1.8 but according to this DOF calculator:

the Sigma 18-125mm wide open at f/5.6 and at its closest focusing
distance of 19.6in has a depth of field of 0.13in. The minimum you
can get with the 50mm at f/1.8 is 0.26in if you are focusing on an
object 18in away.

I decided to check out the kit lens, out of curiousity and found
that the minimum depth of field you can achieve with it is 0.23in
(55mm, f/5.6, focused at 11in). So it seems that the Sigma
18-125mm would be the best candidate to give you the effect that
you are looking for.

just FYI


netspots wrote:


You know that effect where the subject is in perfect focus but the
background is blurred?

A) how is this done?

B) what is this effect called?

C) which of these lenses would produce this effect the best?:

  • Canon 18-55mm (kit lens)

  • Canon 50mm 1.8

  • Sigma 18-125mm


Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow