Pentax Response to Flash Selection for DS...? Hmmm?

Started Dec 20, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RonJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,720
Pentax Response to Flash Selection for DS...? Hmmm?

Here's the Pentax response to my question which is at the end of this posting. I'm still confused about the flash trigger voltage thing...

Also, I didn't realize there were different 'hot shoes.' I thought a hot shoe was a hot shoe!

RJ

"Thank you for contacting Pentax Imaging Co.

While we couldn't advise you regarding the compatibility of non Pentax flashes with Pentax cameras, the problem generally occurs when someone tries to use a flash designed for one of our competitor's cameras on one of our cameras. The pin placement on the hot shoe is generally not the same which causes the short circuiting of electronics inside.

Older Pentax flashes should work on newer cameras depending on what model they are. However, you may not have some features available on newer flashes.

We hope this helps

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at: 800-877-0155 "

Mark Smith
Pentax Imaging Co.

-- hide signature --

Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 9:42 AM
To: pentaxinfo_ PAIC
Subject: Are there restrictions on what flashes can safely ...

Comments:

Are there restrictions on what flashes can safely be used with this camera? I can't afford the Pentax dedicated flashes and some of the forums are claiming that some flashes can 'fry' or destroy the whole camera if the trigger voltages exceed some 'arbitrary' voltage. Is this true? How about older Pentax TTL flashes; are they ok to use? There are just 2-3 flashes listed in the DS manual. Please clarify this because I MUST purchase a flash. Thanks in advance...Ron Johnson

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow