Caution regarding Ricoh lenses on Pentax bodies

Started Dec 17, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg Lovern Senior Member • Posts: 1,583
Caution regarding Ricoh lenses on Pentax bodies

Since so many people are putting old lenses on their DS, I think this is a good time to mention an issue regarding Ricoh lenses.

Ricoh cameras started out using the Pentax K mount, so early lenses are generally interchangable between Ricoh and Pentax. However, Ricoh later took the mount in their own direction, creating incompatibilities between them and Pentax. I don't know if anyone has documented all possible problems, but one that is very common is that Ricoh lenses whose type includes the letter "P" -- XRP, KRP, KPR, etc. (also the Tamron Adaptall mounts for Ricoh on which the Tamron adapter includes the letter "P") mount fine on auto-focus Pentax bodies, BUT WON'T COME OFF, because a lens pin that is unique to the Ricoh mount drops down into the autofocus hole on the Pentax body, and there is no way to retract the pin to get the lens off.

When that happens, typically there is not enough room between camera and lens to reach in with a hacksaw to cut the pin off (I would certainly hope the lens wasn't that loose when mounted), so people end up forcing the lens off (thus shearing the lens pin off by brute force), which I doubt is very good for camera or lens.

Many Ricoh owners simply cut the lens pins off to use them on an autofocus Pentax. In that case, the lens still works on the Ricoh cameras, though not in shutter-priority or fully-programmed exposure modes.

I don't know when Ricoh made that change, but if I ever had any Ricoh lens I wanted to mount on my Pentax, I'd look for a lens pin that looked like it could drop into the autofocus hole on the camera, and either cut off that pin before mounting the lens, or just sell the lens.

Greg

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow