MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

Started May 25, 2001 | Discussions thread
Ted Weller Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

I don't know.......correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are a fair number of G1 owners out there who are more than casual snapshot shooters but not in the professional ballpark. I have been an avid 35mm and now digicam user for approx. 25 years and have gone from the conventional to the digital darkroom. I am not a 'professional' photographer by the standard definition but have made enough from selling fine art prints and some commercial work to pay for a large chunk of my equipment and supplies. Having shot with Canons for quite some time in 35mm format from the A1, AE-1 P and on through the EOS series. I converted to digital four years ago and jettisoned my last 35mm about 8 months ago. Being a medium range shooter with somewhat limited resources, I've found the G1 to be the perfect insturment for my needs. Sure, it would be great to have the top-of-the-line whatever but many of us have to make do with certain limitations. As always, it's the eye that's the most crucial component and countless thousands of dollars worth of equipment won't make one whit of difference if you're lacking that. So, I plan on hanging on to my G1 and squeezing every bit of performance out of it that I can until I can make a worthwhile upgrade without being a slave to the latest/greatest syndrome.

Kevin Bjorke wrote:

I am personally sick and tired of dealing with the G1 being out of
focus; of the G1 refusing to cooperate with standard gear or even
Canon's own gear; and of Canon's almost Microsoft-like attitude
against its customers (akin to the attitude of cigarette makers,
who view their customers as property). I've worked quite a lot with
the camera. I am a professional shooter and cinematographer and I
know what I'm doing. I've used Canon gear since the mechanical F-1.
I made web sites and solicited help, spoke to Canon techs on
numerous occasions all over America, and really believed that it
was just a matter of me learning to use the camera adroitly that
would make it as capable as, say, and Argus C-3. But it's not. The
G1 is so full of bugs and dead-ended broken features that my
patience with it is really at an end. Watch for mine (along with a
550EX and a wireless controller) on Ebay or in the Honolulu
newspapers soon. I'm buying something else.

Ted Weller's gear list:Ted Weller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eg
(unknown member)
Zak
Zak
EJN
EJN
EJN
Les
LPG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow