220ex for the G1 -- Don't laugh!

Started May 25, 2001 | Discussions thread
Richard Contributing Member • Posts: 924
Re: I'm not laughing

Hi Dick--

My reasons for recommending the 420 EX is based on personal experience. Although I didn't have the 220 EX I did have a small non-swivel flash with the intention of using as Linda wishes to do-- small, with direct flash for most shots and an off-shoe cord to use for the rare times I would want to bounce. I wanted it mainly to get rid of the shadow caused by the Lensmate at wide angle. I found my self bouncing almost any chance I had since the quality of the picture was so much better. With the off-shoe cord, I found that I had to carry the flash separately in my shirt pocket while the G1 was strapped around my neck, and it became so cumbersome for me after a while that I bought the 420 EX. Now I have no difficulty taking either direct or bounced shots, but the size is definitely a little larger and it it is also heavier. I don't regret it for a minute. My first digicam was a Nikon CP 950, and it doesn't have a flash shoe so you must use a PC cord; the result for all intents and purposes was the same that Linda will experience with the 220 EX and an off-shoe cord.

I will probably get an off-shoe cord anyway since I like the look when the light doesn't come directly from the camera's location, giving better control over shadows. First I will probably buy a good slave flash that I can hold in my other hand as a fill and highlight flash. Sunpak makes a good one (so I'm told) that will recognize the two-stage flash of most auto-metering cameras for around $49.

-- hide signature --

rhb

Dick S wrote:

Hi Linda,

After all of the knowledgeable expert advice let my add my 2 cents.

Hey guys, you don't understand what Linda was asking and/or
understand the Canon system. READ YOUR MANUAL AND LEARN THE SYSTEM
BEFORE GIVING ADVICE!!!!!

First, the 220 EX works fine with the G1.

What Linda wants to do is have a small manageable flash on the shoe
that also gives her the advantage of hand held bouncing on rare
occasions by using the off-shoe cord.

Please tell me what's wrong with doing it this way. For what she
wants to do and has spelled out--I say YOU GO GAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda, it will work and is the solution to do what you want to do.

Regards,
Dick S, Temecula, CA

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow