MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

Started May 25, 2001 | Discussions thread
EJN Veteran Member • Posts: 6,014
Re: MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

Kevin -

No lecture - just a bit of plain common-sense (I hope)

I guess we all know by now that the G1 does have its quirks. Mt feeling is that it was put out on too high a pedastal. It IS a fine camera and IS capable of truly excellent results (Pekka proved that well and truly) but is is NOT a pro camera and it just doesn't have to be treated as such. When you've learned and accepted its quirks it does extremely well and above everything else, when you AFTERWARDS get another digi of similar type in your hands it is THEN that you appreciate some of the things you never realised before - the GOOD things of the G1. For instance, nobody seems to have commented much on it but on using another digi recently and now in better outside light conditions, the LCD on the G1 is terrifically better than you give it credit for in general use. I can SEE a shot far better on the G1 where on many others it is still back in the Coolpix 'see nowt' era.

I hope you find a better and more suitable digi - but it will have to be a lot more expensive , and bulky, I'm afraid. Pekka I'm sure will cope well but he's already slightly remarked on the fact that the D30 shutter sounds like a 21-gun salute in a quiet place , compared to the G1. Such are the things I think to weigh up with any change - some good, some bad. Where is the next step from the G1 - I wish I knew.

EJN

Kevin Bjorke wrote:

I am personally sick and tired of dealing with the G1 being out of
focus; of the G1 refusing to cooperate with standard gear or even
Canon's own gear; and of Canon's almost Microsoft-like attitude
against its customers (akin to the attitude of cigarette makers,
who view their customers as property). I've worked quite a lot with
the camera. I am a professional shooter and cinematographer and I
know what I'm doing. I've used Canon gear since the mechanical F-1.
I made web sites and solicited help, spoke to Canon techs on
numerous occasions all over America, and really believed that it
was just a matter of me learning to use the camera adroitly that
would make it as capable as, say, and Argus C-3. But it's not. The
G1 is so full of bugs and dead-ended broken features that my
patience with it is really at an end. Watch for mine (along with a
550EX and a wireless controller) on Ebay or in the Honolulu
newspapers soon. I'm buying something else.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eg
Zak
Zak
EJN
EJN
EJN
Les
LPG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow