MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

Started May 25, 2001 | Discussions thread
Richard Contributing Member • Posts: 924
Re: MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

You'll be missed around here very much. You have been a wealth of knowledge that has helped many G1 users, including me, and I'm an old film shooter from wayback. Your Web site has been great also, providing excellent info that most of us would never have learned elsewhere. I think the loss is Canon's for not taking care of their "key influencers."

I think part of the frustration you have experienced is common to the Japanese business/cultural approach to addressing problems. To fix a problem means first to lose face by admitting a problem exists, and this is very difficult for them to do. Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi exhibit the same problem, once you get out of the US organization and try to work with the Japanese one. However, they DO listen well, and at some point they will address the issues we (and you) have raised here. Unfortunately, for those of us already owning a Canon product, the fixes will appear as a new, evolutionary feature on a newer model. The Japanese are excellent at iterative design methodologies, but they truly miss the mark when it comes to understanding the minds of most of their customers ( i.e., European and American consumers). I have a number of friends who in their careers have worked for American or European susidiaries of Japanese companies, and the only people who are very successful over time are those who kow-tow to the chauvinistic belief among Japanese executive management that the Japanese Way is the only true way, and that we must adjust our realities to suit their perfect Way. It will take Canon, and many other Japanese companies, a major cultural and philosophical shift to recognize that the views of others are just as valid as their own (back to the face issue). Many business books have been written about this difference.

I don't for a minute believe that this mentality is specific to the Japanese culture; many other cultures also have many of the same difficulties in adjusting to the needs and expectations of others.

You'll be missed, Kevin-- good luck with whatever camera you choose!

-- hide signature --

rhb

Kevin Bjorke wrote:

I am personally sick and tired of dealing with the G1 being out of
focus; of the G1 refusing to cooperate with standard gear or even
Canon's own gear; and of Canon's almost Microsoft-like attitude
against its customers (akin to the attitude of cigarette makers,
who view their customers as property). I've worked quite a lot with
the camera. I am a professional shooter and cinematographer and I
know what I'm doing. I've used Canon gear since the mechanical F-1.
I made web sites and solicited help, spoke to Canon techs on
numerous occasions all over America, and really believed that it
was just a matter of me learning to use the camera adroitly that
would make it as capable as, say, and Argus C-3. But it's not. The
G1 is so full of bugs and dead-ended broken features that my
patience with it is really at an end. Watch for mine (along with a
550EX and a wireless controller) on Ebay or in the Honolulu
newspapers soon. I'm buying something else.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eg
Zak
Zak
EJN
EJN
EJN
Les
LPG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow