MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

Started May 25, 2001 | Discussions thread
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,520
Re: MY Attitude: Goodbye Canon

Sorry to learn of your disillusionment. Your website has been a wonderful resource and your comments appreciated. I am curious what has led you to this point? Many of us bought the G1 knowing that it had some limitations. Perhaps, we didn't know how deeply they were imbedded, but those are the breaks. The focusing issue has been a bit of a sore spot. I think Canon just dropped in the same contrast based system they use in all of their video cameras. Having used the XL-1 for professional video projects, I can testify as to how lousy the Canon focusing system is. Using the XL-1 in auto-focus mode is haphazard at best and if you want to achieve adequate results, manual is the way to go. Unfortunately, the G1's manual focus is crummy; that's one of the reasons I think they have a relatively fast lens.

While, the G1 is not a professional camera, I agree they could have done better. It seems that Canon's tech support is highly variable; my experiences have actually been quite good. I think that you would find most camera manufacturers to guard their systems and be less than forthcoming with information. My own experiences with Sony have been nothing less than exasperating. Clearly, that kind of thinking is shortsided, but it is a standard practice in the competitive marketplace.

Overall, I still enjoy the G1. It fits in my pocket, has been reliable so far, and is fun to play with. Meanwhile, my high end SLR's have been sitting in the closet collecting dust. When I made the jump into digiphoto, I knew that the process wasn't perfect and that industry was still in its infancy. Yet, I haven't had this much fun since my first experiences in the darkroom many years ago, and my enthusiasm in photography has been renewed.

I wish you well in your search for the ultimate digicam! Minolta anyone?

Kevin Bjorke wrote:

I am personally sick and tired of dealing with the G1 being out of
focus; of the G1 refusing to cooperate with standard gear or even
Canon's own gear; and of Canon's almost Microsoft-like attitude
against its customers (akin to the attitude of cigarette makers,
who view their customers as property). I've worked quite a lot with
the camera. I am a professional shooter and cinematographer and I
know what I'm doing. I've used Canon gear since the mechanical F-1.
I made web sites and solicited help, spoke to Canon techs on
numerous occasions all over America, and really believed that it
was just a matter of me learning to use the camera adroitly that
would make it as capable as, say, and Argus C-3. But it's not. The
G1 is so full of bugs and dead-ended broken features that my
patience with it is really at an end. Watch for mine (along with a
550EX and a wireless controller) on Ebay or in the Honolulu
newspapers soon. I'm buying something else.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow