Thoughts on ballhead for light-weight lenses?

Started Nov 19, 2004 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matt F Senior Member • Posts: 1,639
Thoughts on ballhead for light-weight lenses?

I have been doing a bit of research on tripods. Since I will be using it mostly for macro, I have settled on a Gitzo explorer (Uni-loc and Benbo sound more flexible, but harder to work with and not as well built). However, I am unsure about the ballhead.

I am reading lots of postings about how if you don't get something really top-end like the Markins M10 you will regret it. My real question is, does this apply even if my heaviest lens is the relatively small 24-120 VR? I don't foresee buying any really long lenses, and mostly I will be using the even smaller 60mm micro.

For example, Adorama offers this package http://www.adorama.com/GZ2220SLPB.html?searchinfo=gitzo%20explorer&item_no=1
with the Gitzo Explorer plus the Slik Pro Ball 800 for $279.99.

Getting the Markins head and plate would bring the combo up to $570 I think. I am not that concerned about stability of cheaper heads, but what I really do wonder about is precise control for the minute movements needed for close-up work. If I get the Slik or something of that ilk, am I going to regret it?

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Gov
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow