Canon’s attitude: what do you think?

Started May 15, 2001 | Discussions thread
Phil H Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Canon’s attitude: what do you think?

Bob

I think you must have some other kind of flash. In the automatic mode the 283 has four color coded settings which correspond to apertures. For an ISO 25 film (digital or real) these are f2.0, 2.8, 5.6, and 8. At f8 the auto mode works for any distance up to 10ft.At f2.0, the maximum distance is 40ft. In other words the guide number is 80 for ISO 25.

Many people have been using 283s almost 20 years for fill flash photography with all kinds of SLR's - Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc. We expected to be able to do the same with the G1 because of Canon's claims (see Kevin's post). We also expected to be able to use the G1 with studio strobes. We can't do this reliably if the camera picks some combination of shutter speed and aperture different than our manual settings. Why would it do this in manual mode? - because Canon seriously screwed up. Anyone who doesn't believe this probably doesn't understand the fill flash concept either. I would not have bought a G1 if I'd known about this problem.

Canon designed their EX flashes to do fill flash automatically. But not only are these flashes way overpriced, they don't work well in all conditions. There have been threads about this.

Phil H

Bob Roosth wrote:

Your complaint about the Vivitar 283 is off base. It requires that
you set the aperature based on film speed and maximum subject
distance.

The only problem I have with it is the min aperature of the G1
being f8. I can only use the 283 for bounce or distances greater
than about 20 ft.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rwh
MK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow