Skip the E1, go to E-300 - Then E-3?

Started Oct 15, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kevin Barrett
Kevin Barrett Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Skip the E1, go to E-300 - Then E-3?

Firstly, I'm impressed with the E1. I've used it on occassion and find it to be a nice camera.

I'm more of a serious enthusiast type of a photographer. I wouldn't categorize myself as a pro per se', but I've sold some prints, had a succesful one man show and got a photograph published etc., all with a humble C-5050z.

I'm not a stranger to 35mm photography. I cut my teeth on a Canon T-90 and have worked a bit with a 4x5 cameras. So, I'm fairly adept with the technicals etc.

I've learned that it's best to invest in lenses versus bodies. Which brings me to my question: Should I go for the E-300 and get more lenses, with the idea of getting an E-3 later on. The principal is that more money should be "invested" in lenses than bodies etc.

I really don't know how much I will be shooting in the rain and I only occassionally find myself needing anything approaching 3fps.

My hunch is that the E-300 photo quality will be equal to the E-1 in many aspects and surpassing it in others. My logic is that I could probably utilize the extra mega-pixels for cropping etc. I can't imagine needing to produce anything over 16 x 20" for resale etc.

I have to admit the the Canon 20D tempts me, but it's large array of support. But, I've been smitten with the Olympus bug and do like the E1 results I've been able to sample first hand.

I am concerned that the E-300 finder brightness will be quite a bit dimmer than the E1 etc. The anticipate the E-300 build quality will be just fine.

Anybody else formulating a similar strategy:

E-300 with more lenses rather than an E-1 with fewer and then get an E-3
later on?

-- hide signature --

Kevin Barrett
Lowell, MI

Kevin Barrett's gear list:Kevin Barrett's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow