Z3 - the highs and the lows - the tears and the laughter...

Started Sep 24, 2004 | Discussions thread
ATWTUT Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Z3 - the highs and the lows - the tears and the laughter...

As you said it is your first digital camera.

Two firmware releases for the Z3. Go over to Canon and Nikon and have a look. This is the digital world, you won't find any less releases for DSLR or SLR-type cameras. Some have had six firmware releases !

As you say yourself, "struggling" with the exposure settings. This, together with "compared to my old 35mm camera", shows that you are still struggling to make the switch from film to digital. A digital camera will not behave like a film camera, period. Either you make that mental switch and do not try to have your camera expose in the same way as your 35mm camera, or you'll be on your 5th Z3 by year end.

I have read most of your previous posts and while it is totally unarguable that you had a bad first camera, most of the rest of your posts has always felt, in my opinion, that, aside from the well-known but now cured clock, banding, and occasional freeze problems, that the exposure problems and blues in your pictures were down to the end-user, you. I have seen many make recommendations to you but some of the crucial ones you still have not tried.

If you are still disatisfied with what the camera actually does, there are two things you should do and which have been suggested to you on this forum by others : one is to reset the camera to factory defaults and play with it, understanding what "digital photography" means, and only changing one setting at a time, painstakingly experimenting till you have a camera configured for YOUR liking and till you fully understand FOR YOURSELF how each setting affects the camera's results. Only change settings one at a time, experiment, go back and change again.

The other suggestion someone made to you was for you to read the DPREVIEW FAQs which are EXTREMELY informative.

Above all, do not compare your digital camera to your old 35mm film camera - it is a different world.

ATWTUT

ruggedtoast wrote:

I hope this can be helpful to you if you are thinking of buying
this camera. Happy Z3 users please dont get angry with me, I take
it as read of course that there are many people who havent had
problems with their camera and are pleased they got what they
wanted - personally I have had a tranche of headaches from this
machine and would like others to at least be aware of the pitfalls.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow