Camera and Lens Buying Guides
On this page you'll find links to our extensive buying guide content, which spans everything from seasonal product roundups to advice about what gear is best for what kind of shooting situation. You'll also find links to our technology primer articles and our interactive camera chooser, which lets you quickly compare different models to find the right one for you.
Choose by camera type
Digital cameras come in all shapes a sizes – and prices. We’ve divided these roundups by camera type, and cost. Here, you’ll find our take on everything from pocketable compact models to high-end full-frame powerhouses.
- Interchangeable lens cameras around $500 NEW
- Interchangeable lens cameras $500–800 NEW
- Interchangeable lens cameras $800–1200 NEW
- Interchangeable lens cameras $1200–2000 - Crop-sensor NEW
- Interchangeable lens cameras $1200–2000 - Full-frame NEW
- Semi-pro interchangeable lens cameras $2000+ NEW
- Compact enthusiast zoom cameras NEW
- Enthusiast long zoom cameras NEW
- Consumer long zoom compact cameras NEW
- Long zoom compact cameras
- Fixed prime lens cameras NEW
- Best smartphone cameras
Choose by shooting needs
So you want to buy a new camera – but why? These guides let you make your selection based on the kind of photography you want to do. Perhaps you want to document your growing family, or you need a camera to take snorkeling on an upcoming vacation? We’ve got you covered.
Ideas for the Holidays
This is the time of year for gift-giving, whether it’s for a loved one, or just as a treat for yourself. In our holiday season gift guides we’ve selected some of our favorite items spanning prices from the very affordable, to the truly luxurious.
How to Buy: Technologies Explained
The technology behind digital imaging and video moves very quickly, and can be confusing. Our aim in this series of guides is to explain the difference between various types of product, and demystify some of the more complex terms. Our two-part printing primer is intended to help you take your vision from the camera, to a finished print.
- 4K: What you need to know
- Primer: What is VR, and why should photographers care?
- How to buy an interchangeable lens camera
- Why would I buy a mirrorless camera?
- Digital camera lens buying guide
- Beginner's guide to HD video
- 3D Video Primer – part 1
- 3D Video Primer – part 2
- Choosing a photo printer
- Print workflow
Archived: 2014 Buying Guides
Need to shoot something specific? Our list of situations may help.
- Best cameras for beginners
- Best cameras for social photography
- Best compact cameras for travel
- Best waterproof cameras
- Interchangeable lens cameras under $1000
- Best compact cameras for enthusiasts
- Best digital cameras for kids
Want to know which camera to buy and why? Check out the following roundups.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4