Today Ricoh announced the Caplio 500G wide, an 8-megapixel camera housed in a durable water resistant (to a depth of 1m), dust and shock resistant body (withstanding drops of up to 1m) and capable of working in temperatures of -10°C. The 500G wide sports a 28-85mm equivalent lens, 3x optical zoom, camera-shake blur reduction and a 2.5-inch screen. This tough little cookie also features an optical viewfinder, up to ISO 1600 and has an optional wide angle conversion lens.
Ricoh announces the Caplio 500G wide
A water, dust and shock resistant digital camera with a 28mm wide-angle 3x zoom lens and more powerful flash
May 8, 2006, Tokyo—Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president: Masamitsu Sakurai) has launched the “Caplio 500G wide”, a new water and dust-resistant digital camera.
The Caplio 500G wide, the successor to the Caplio 400G wide (launched in January 2004), starts off with the same strong set of features as its predecessor, with superior water and dust resistance, a wide-angle optical 3x zoom (equivalent to 28-85mm for a 35mm camera), and functions for linkage with Construction CALS and other business systems. It goes further, however, with new features, such as more rugged impact resistance, a flash range of 10m, and an antiblur function. It is designed for customers who will use it on construction sites, for insurance loss appraisal in disaster areas, in schools, and in other outdoor situations.
Ricoh has been the leader in water and dust-resistant digital cameras since the launch of the Ricoh RDC-100G in July 1999, and the launch of the 500G consolidates our dominance in the field.
Main Features of the Caplio 500G wide
- Superior water and dust resistance plus shock resistance, making it ideal for hard outdoor use.
- A shock resistant structure and stronger camera cone create a robust body able to withstand falls from 1m onto 26 surfaces, in compliance with US Department of Defense “MIL Standard 810F” (previous models withstood 90cm). It can cope with rough handling outdoors.
- The Caplio 500G Wide boasts the same impressive water resistance as its predecessor’s, surpassing JIS protection grade 7 performance. Besides taking pictures in the rain, it can even take pictures underwater in depths of up to 1m.
- Dust resistance satisfies JIS protection grade 6. Pictures can be taken in environments with high concentrations of dust and sand.
- The skillful placement of large buttons makes operation easy, even with gloves on.
New flash has an effective range of up to 10m
- The high-capacity flash has an effective range of up to 10m for wide-angle and 6.5m for telephoto, broadening the range of photographic opportunities. (Previous models effective flash range went up to 5m).
New antiblur function
- The antiblur function raises ISO sensitivity to allow photography at faster shutter speeds. This feature is superbly effective for photography indoors and in other dark situations.
28-85mm wide-zoom lens
- The wide-zoom lens, equivalent to 28-85mm, was also popular on previous models.
- It can cover the whole of a large building, or frame pictures well in confined areas, while the 3x optical zoom can reach subjects that are too inaccessible to shoot from closer.
- For even wider shots, there is an optional wide conversion lens that is equivalent to 22mm.
CALS mode and other features are ideal for electronic data in construction work
- The CALS mode switches immediately to the optimum picture quality for electronic delivery to construction CALS (1,280x960 resolution, edge sharpening).\
- The Camera Memo function can be used to attach memos, containing information such as the location, to the photograph data. Such memos facilitate later searching and cataloguing of images.
- The high sense mode can monitor subjects clearly, even in dark places. It’s easy to take pictures at night, or in dim locations such as indoors and inside ducting. It also handles firefighting-related work on fire scenes.
Optical viewfinder and large 2.5 inch LCD monitor
- The large, high-detail 2.5 inch LCD monitor is a new addition. There is also an optical viewfinder, so the photographer can use whichever is right for the situation, for more reliable photography.
Diverse useful features
- Superior responsivity, with only 0.10 seconds elapsing between pressing the shutter and the start of exposure, and startup time of approximately 1.2 seconds (when the flash is off).
- The large-capacity lithium ion battery provided with the camera gives battery life long enough for 400 continuous shots (CIPA standard). If the battery runs out, readily-available AA-size batteries can be used instead, and an optional AC adapter can be used indoors. Able to use three power sources.
- Macro mode gets as close as 1cm from the subject.
- Skew correction mode can compensate for photographs taken at an angle, so that they look as if they were shot from the front. Performs powerfully in various situations, such as message boards and display panels.
- When the camera is connected to the personal computer via a USB cable, it is recognized as an external storage device, so images in the camera can be transferred to the computer without using special software. Single-action transfer is also available from the special software.
- The Caplio 500G Wide is compliant with the PictBridge standard that allows direct connection to a printer without routing through a personal computer. More diverse printing is possible, such as printing onto forms registered to the printer, when connected to Ricoh’s high-speed color laser printers and MFP*.
* Please visit www.ricoh.com for compatible models.
- The high-quality CCD has an effective 8.13 million pixels.
The Ricoh Caplio 500G wide will retail for UK£ 379.99.
1/1.8 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 3264 x 2448
2592 x 1944
2048 x 1536
1280 x 960
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 320 x 240
160 x 120
|File formats|| JPEG (Exif v2.2)
AVI Motion JPEG with WAV sound
|Lens|| 28-85mm equiv
3x optical zoom
|Digital zoom||up to 4x|
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Metering|| TTL-CCD photometric system
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
|Exposure compensation||+/- 2EV in 1/3 EV steps|
|Shuttter speed||8, 4, 2, 1-1/2000 sec|
|Modes|| Still (continuous / S-continuous / M-continuous)
|Scene modes|| High sensitivity
|White balance|| Auto / Fixed (daylight, overcast, tungsten light 1 & 2, fluorescent light, one push)
White balance bracket
|Self timer||2 or 10sec|
Red eye reduction
On / Off
Range: 0.2-10m (wide), 0.2-6.5m (tele)
|Viewfinder||Real-image optical zoom|
|LCD monitor|| 2.5-inch silicon TFT
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 Hi-speed
NTSC / PAL
|Storage|| 26MB internal memory
SD / MMC compatible
|Power|| Rechargeable battery DB-43 or AA alkaline batteries
AC adapter AC-4d
|Weight (no batt)||400 g|
|Dimensions||133 x 78.5 x 74 mm|
May 1, 2009
Apr 22, 2009
Feb 20, 2009
Feb 19, 2009
|I am an Elephant by Bibix|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 5, E
|Mossy forest panorama by Jill Hancock|
from Your point of view
|Ship Moon and Stars by LJJohnston|
from For creative newbies only..