Kodak has today announced its new enhanced EasyShare system. The new system includes new EasyShare software designed to make the 'arriving home' experience easier. Kodak has also announced the CX4230 2 megapixel digital camera (which rotates images to the correct orientation in the camera) and the new EasyShare Dock II. The new Dock II allows the transfer of images back to the computer as well as in-camera charging of the supplied NiMH rechargeable battery (now with charge indicators).
UPDATED: As noted by *many people* (thanks) there is nothing innovative about the CX4230's auto rotation feature. However, as noted by Kodak it is the only current digital camera which not only detects the orientation at the time of shoot but also delivers a ready rotated image out of the camera.
New Kodak EasyShare Digital Camera System Produces High-Quality Prints Simply - Anywhere, Anytime
Award-winning system sets new standard for ease-of-use in digital
photography with new camera, software, dock and more
ROCHESTER, NY, May 21, 2002 - Eastman Kodak Company today introduced the new Kodak EasyShare system, combining enhanced software, digital cameras and an enhanced camera dock to take digital photography beyond e-mail and take the challenge out of obtaining high-quality prints. Until today, printing photos from digital cameras was difficult, time-consuming and frustrating. With the new EasyShare system, making high-quality prints becomes fun and easy because of EasyShare's one-touch simplicity.
The new EasyShare system provides the industry's broadest number of integrated printing options that allow consumers to easily print at home using One Touch to Better Pictures and Kodak inkjet paper, from home by choosing to upload to either the EasyShare print service or another retail online photofinisher of choice, or at retail using Kodak digitally-enabled kiosks or over the counter.
A recent worldwide survey conducted by the research firm Market Facts confirms that easy uploading and the ability to print high-quality photos are the two most important purchase considerations for potential digital camera buyers. Last year, Kodak unveiled the award-winning EasyShare system, which made it simple to transfer images from a camera to a computer - at the touch of a button. The enhanced Kodak EasyShare system introduced today makes getting prints simpler than ever, letting consumers print at home, from home or at retail - driven by software that offers the widest range of printing choices available on the market.
"Kodak set the standard for consumer satisfaction a century ago, and today the enhanced EasyShare system has set a new standard for ease-of-use in the digital age," said Chairman and CEO Daniel A. Carp. "Kodak offers consumers more ways to get high-quality prints more conveniently than ever before."
The new Kodak EasyShare system features a series of technological advances that give consumers an unmatched digital photography experience. They include:
- The new Kodak EasyShare software, which simplifies how picture-takers
print, e-mail, edit and organize their digital pictures. The software's
One Touch to Better Pictures feature, combined with Premium Kodak Inkjet
Photo Paper, delivers hassle-free, stunning prints from any inkjet printer.
To help generate more high-quality prints, users can see on the computer
screen exactly what they will print with the dynamic print preview feature.
For printing online, the software connects seamlessly to the Kodak EasyShare
print service or any other online photo finisher, reflecting Kodak's
commitment to consumer choice, open systems and services.
- The 2-megapixel Kodak EasyShare CX4230 Zoom Digital Camera, the first
EasyShare camera with a "share" button that allows users to
tag pictures for printing, e-mailing or as favorites right on the camera's
preview screen. On-camera print tagging is as simple as choosing the
print and selecting the number of prints required. When the camera is
docked and images transferred, the Kodak EasyShare software automatically
opens the print screen for printing at home or online. On-camera e-mail
tagging is also simple and powerful. The camera stores up to 32 e-mail
addresses directly from the software. Users simply tag the image for
e-mailing and select an address.
- The CX4230 is the only camera in the world that automatically rotates
pictures on the camera, so pictures taken vertically appear correctly.
- The CX4230 offers stunning prints up to 8"x10", a result
assured by a new, all-glass Kodak Retinar lens, 3X optical zoom and
built-in Kodak color science that deliver high-quality digital images.
- The CX4230 and all current Kodak EasyShare cameras are compatible with the improved Kodak EasyShare Camera Dock, which allows consumers to upload their digital images at the touch of a button and benefit from enhanced battery charging.
"We've used our technology - the world's deepest pool of digital imaging patents - to make the consumer experience better, not just to add features for features' sake," said Willy Shih, President of Kodak's Digital & Applied Imaging division. "Whether at home with inkjet media, online, or at retail stores using Kodak Picture Maker kiosks, the Kodak EasyShare System makes it easy to get the highest-quality prints from your digital camera."
Kodak CX4230 Zoom features
- 2.0 megapixel resolution for quality prints up to 8 x 10 inches
- Kodak Retinar all glass aspheric lens with auto focus
- 6X zoom (3X optical zoom, 2X digital zoom)
- New on-camera "share" button for simple printing, e-mailing and organizing
- Kodak color science
- 16 MB of internal memory
- MultiMediaCard/SecureDigital expansion slot for additional picture taking, storing and sharing
- Compatible with optional Kodak EasyShare Camera Dock II
- Three image quality modes
- Flash range of 1.6 to 11.5 feet at wide angle, 1.6 to 6.9 feet at telephoto
- ISO equivalency of 100, 200 (automatic)
- Lens: 36-108 mm, f/2.7 - 5.2 with built-in cover
- Shutter speed of 1/8 to 1/1700 seconds
- Automatic, fill, red-eye, off
- Auto-orientation for on-camera image rotation
- Close-up mode: 4 to 24 inches
- 10 second self-timer