Pre-Photokina 2008: Pentax has, amongst its latest announcements, launched two new lenses in the DA Star series; the smc PENTAX-DA 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM telephoto zoom lens and smc PENTAX-DA 55mm F1.4 SDM medium-telephoto lens. Both lenses include extra-low dispersion glass elements and sport a water and dust resistant body with 35mm equivalent focal length of 92-383mm and 80mm respectively.
Two new smc DA* (DA Star) lenses from Pentax enable high-performance, top-quality telephoto and medium-telephoto zoom
September 22, 2008 - PENTAX U.K. launches two high-performance interchangeable lenses for the smc PENTAX-DA* (DA Star) series. These lenses are designed exclusively for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras to deliver top-quality digital images. The smc PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM is a versatile telephoto zoom lens offering a high zoom ratio, while the smc PENTAX-DA*55mm F1.4 SDM is a compact medium-telephoto lens offering a large maximum aperture.
High image quality
The two lenses are the newest members of the exclusive DA Star series and are designed to deliver the top optical performance of all PENTAX interchangeable lenses. Combining a host of advanced technologies including super-low-dispersion optical elements, extra-low dispersion (ED) optical elements and PENTAX-original lens coatings, they assure outstanding image distinction with clear, high-contrast images, even at the edges of the image field.
Featuring a set of special seals, the lenses feature a reliable dust-resistant, water-resistant construction to prevent intrusion of dust, water and moisture into the lens body.
Quick-Shift Focus system
The PENTAX-invented Quick-Shift Focus system allows instant switching to manual-focus operation, after the subject is captured in focus by the camera’s autofocus system.
The front surface of the optics is treated with the PENTAX-original Super Protect (SP) coating. Applying a special fluorine compound to the lens surface through a vapour deposition process, this coating effectively repels dust, water and grease, making it easy to wipe off annoying stains such as fingerprints and cosmetic marks.
Digital SLR-exclusive optical design
Thanks to a combination of special lens coatings, ideal curvature and best positioning of optical elements, these lenses are designed to optimise digital imaging characteristics, while effectively minimising flare and ghost images. Their image circle is perfectly proportioned to the image-sensor size of PENTAX digital SLR cameras. Despite their large maximum aperture, they are designed to be compact and lightweight to enhance manoeuverability and operability.
Main Features of the smc PENTAX-DA*60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM Lens
- When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this zoom lens provides focal lengths from 92mm to 383mm in the 35mm format. Its 4.2-times zoom ratio covers a broad telephoto range, making it ideal for capturing various sports scenes and portraits.
- Two extra-low dispersion (ED) optical elements are incorporated into the optics for minimal chromatic aberrations. A unique non-linear shifting system employed in the zoom mechanism effectively reduces field curvature aberrations and assures solid image-description performance at all focal lengths.
- The large F4 maximum aperture is retained over the entire zoom range to assure a faster shutter speed or reduce the depth of field. An innovative hybrid AF system offers both extra-smooth, super-quiet SDM autofocus operation using a supersonic motor installed in the lens body and conventional autofocus operation using a motor built into the camera body.
Main Features of smc PENTAX-DA*55mm F1.4 SDM Lens
- When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this medium-telephoto lens offers a focal length of 80mm in the 35mm format. Coupled with its large F1.4 maximum aperture, it is ideal for portraiture applications.
- A newly developed Aero Bright Coating enhances image-description performance by effectively reducing reflections over a wider wavelength range. Compared to conventional multi-coatings, this new coating greatly improves light transmittance in the lens, while drastically reducing flare and ghost images that deteriorate image quality.
- A combination of the latest optical design and a round-shaped diaphragm assures soft, beautifully obscured out-of-focus description, maximising the advantage of a large-aperture lens in shallow depth-of-field applications.
- A Super-low-dispersion optical element is incorporated into the optics for effective compensation of a variety of aberrations.
- The advanced SDM mechanism assures extra-smooth, super-quiet autofocus operation using a supersonic motor installed in the lens body. Thanks to its SDM-exclusive autofocus system, the lens is designed to be compact, despite its large maximum aperture.
The smc PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM will retail at around £899.99. Price to be confirmed on the smc PENTAX-DA★*55mm F1.4 SDM Lens.
|Model Name||DA 60-250mm F4 ED[IF] SDM||DA 55mm F1.4 SDM|
|Lens mount||Pentax KAF2||Pentax KAF3|
|Lens Construction||15 elements in 13 groups||9 elements in 8 groups|
|Focal length||92-383mm (35mm equiv)||80mm (35mm equiv)|
|Angle of View||26.5 - 6.5°
|Diaphragm Blades||9 blades||9 blades|
|Minimum Focus Distance||1.1m||0.45m|
|Maximum Mag. Ratio||
82 x 167.5 mm (3.2 x 6.6 in.)
|70.5 x 66 mm (2.8 x 2.6 in.)|
|Weight||1040g (36.7 oz.)||375g (13.2 oz.)|
Importing, culling and tagging photos is about to get a whole lot faster and look a whole lot better with the impending arrival of Photo Mechanic 6.
On its own, the FTZ adapter retails for $250 and when bundled it dropped the cost to just $150. Now, Nikon is offering it for free with all Z6, Z7 purchases in the United States.
Profoto said it spoke with Godox back at Photokina 2018 and continues to contact Godox in an effort to stop it from marketing its V1 light.
Product renders in Italian publication Notebook Italia show an unusual design that conceals all cameras with the help of a slider mechanism.
Canon says its new EF 400mm F2.8L IS III and EF 600mm F4L IS III lenses can suffer from an intermittent flickering when shooting video in M or Av modes with certain cameras.
Leica recently announced the Q2, a digital rangefinder with a fixed 28mm F1.7 lens. It's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot with, but is it right for you? Based on our time with the camera, and its specifications, we've examined how well-suited it is for common photography use-cases.
Now that our Panasonic Lumix S1R has final firmware, we couldn't wait to get out shooting with it - and we also tried the high-res mode, which combines files to get 187 megapixel images. Because sometimes, 47 megapixels just isn't enough.
DroneShield has announced a partnership with NASCAR to use its trifecta of drone-disabling technology at events held at Texas Motor Speedway.
In this article, travel and landscape photographer Mitch Green encourages us to spend more time in the the field.
the lens lacks any electronics whatsoever and is constructed entirely of glass and metal. Of course, that comes at the expense of weight — this thing weighs in at 1.1kg / 2.43lbs.
Drones can be useful tools in urban areas, where they're utilized for everything from news reporting to building inspections, but flying in these areas requires careful preparation. Here's what you need to know to do so safely.
Hasselblad has released a new cable release and USB double battery charger for its X1D medium format camera .
After a report published by NBC News, Flickr has taken heat for allegedly letting IBM 'scrape' photos for use in its facial recognition datasets. But the problem isn't what it seems on the surface.
Samyang has announced the impending arrival of the AF 85mm F1.4 FE lens for full-frame Sony cameras.
Some Photoshop shortcuts are simple and obvious. Others, not so much. Here are 15 shortcuts that are actually useful.
Twitter has redesigned its in-app camera for easier access from the timeline screen.
Independent cinema lens manufacturer SLR Magic has announced it will offer all of its existing MicroPrime range in the Fujifilm X mount and has even created a Fuji-specific 12mm lens.
We've updated our buying guides with three more cameras: the Canon EOS RP, Nikon Z6 and Olympus E-M1X.
CFexpress 2.0 cards will come in three different form factors, each of which will offer different maximum speeds.
Lensbaby has added a third tilt lens to its Optic Swap system, this time a 35mm lens, adding to the existing 50mm and 80mm options.
Sigma has released firmware updates for a number of its lenses as well as its EF-E adapter to address various errors and features with Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras.
We've added the Fujifilm X-T30 and Sony a6400 to our 'Best Cameras under $1000' buying guide. These two mirrorless models pack in a lot of features for just $900 body only.
Instagram, Facebook and other Facebook-owned services are down for users around the world.
Think Tank Photo has unveiled its new Vision series of shoulder bags, including the Vision 10, Vision 13 and Vision 15.
The OPPO Reno series will be launched on April 10 but some details have already been spotted on the web.
Insta360 has unveiled its latest camera, as well as a new VR headset app and a specialized smartphone cover that makes it possible to view 3D video on standard smartphones.
A fresh crop of ready-for-anything compacts has been added to our buying guide – just in time for Spring Break.
At the Hydrogen One launch RED promised a range of bolt-on modules designed to expand the device's feature set. However, there is now doubt if those modules will ever be released.
Due to growing concerns about drones around regulated airspace, no-fly zones in the United Kingdom will be more than four times larger than before starting March 13.
Huawei clearly hasn't learned its lesson and once again has been busted for trying to pass off DSLR photos as images taken with one of its upcoming smartphones.