Nikon unveils D3000 entry-level DSLR
Nikon has also unveiled the D3000, its latest compact DSLR. It will be the company's least expensive DSLR and inherits the 10.2 MP DX-format CCD sensor and 3fps continuous shooting rate from the D60. It also adds a larger, 3.0 inch LCD and the 11-point AF system with 3D tracking we saw in the D5000 and D90. Targeted towards beginners and experienced compact users, the camera features a new Guide mode to help learn how to get the most out of a DSLR. The recommended selling price will be $599 with 18-55mm VR lens.
Nikon guides the way with the launch of the D3000
Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 30th July 2009 – Nikon announces the simplest, most accessible DSLR to date, the D3000.
Jordi Brinkman, Product Manager for Nikon Europe says: “The D3000 dispels the view that DSLR cameras are complicated and makes taking great pictures simpler than ever before. You can really concentrate on having fun with photography and the Guide mode helps you to get the best results with the minimum of fuss.”
DSLR, pure and simple
The D3000 is designed for anyone who wants to take pictures without worrying about settings. You can select from a choice of subject parameters and the camera will do the rest, and the instant response time means you never miss a moment. The 11-point autofocus system ensures everyone is in focus, and the bright viewfinder means you get what you want, when you want it.
Great pictures, automatically
The 10.2 megapixel sensor, powerful EXPEED processing system and brilliant NIKKOR lenses ensure excellent pictures wherever you are, whatever you or your subject is doing. The comprehensive exposure metering system, ISO 1600 sensitivity and built-in pop up flash make light work of dark places.
Guide the way
For the DSLR first timer, the intelligent Guide mode helps you get the most from the potential DSLR photography offers. It simplifies the camera set up and shows you how to get better pictures. If you want to develop your picture taking, you can. If you want to concentrate on the subject, you can do that too. Either way, the D3000 does it effortlessly and automatically.
3-inch LCD screen
The 3-inch LCD screen means you can share your efforts with family and friends and makes retouching your pictures in camera great fun. Beyond the Guide mode, the GUI menus are larger and simpler to use thanks to extensive use of visuals instead of text. The wide variety of exciting in-camera processing effects means you can get really creative with your pictures and share them with friends and family.
Anytime and anywhere
Whatever you do, wherever you go, the D3000 is a must have for any family event or day out. The camera’s comprehensive technologies and tough exterior are ready to handle whatever your free time can throw at it. The exclusive dust reduction system with Airflow control minimises the impact of dust on the image sensor and its compact size and weight – and tough housing – on both body and lens make the D3000 impossible to leave behind.
- 10.2megapixel CCD sensor. Even in low light the image resolution makes easy work of big prints and sharp enlargements.
- 11-point autofocus system. Keeps even the fastest moving subjects in focus, often the biggest challenge for compact cameras
- Fast response. The start up time and shutter lag means you can capture the shot almost instantly, without the delayed response time common of compact cameras
- Guide mode. Simply the easiest way to get great pictures, without having to read the manual
- 3-inch TFT. With pictures this good, you will need a great screen to share them with friends and family
- EXPEED image processing. Exclusive system to deliver rich, bright results close to what you saw with your own eyes
- Picture Controls. Lets you set the look and mood of your images before you shoot
- 3 fps continuous shooting allows you to capture fast-moving action at 3 frames per second
- Intuitive ergonomics. We challenge anyone to pick up a D3000 and it not to feel part of your hand
- Stylish discrete appearance. The D3000 does not become a barrier between you and your subject, resulting in natural looking expressions
- Compact, light and durable. It won’t fit in your pocket, but with pictures this good you will find a shoulder to hang it on
New Guide mode
In-camera guidance is provided by the new Guide mode, which employs an easy-to-use interface that makes it easy for first-time users to select shooting modes. Additionally, after selecting an item in Guide mode, camera settings can be further adjusted in order to obtain optimal results.
Nikon DX-format CCD sensor; 10.2 effective megapixels
At 10.2 effective megapixels, the D3000 produces high-resolution images that enable beautiful enlargements without loss of sharpness. Normal ISO sensitivity is ISO 100 to 1600 but for added shooting versatility, a Hi 1 setting increases sensitivity to ISO 3200.
EXPEED image processing system
The D3000 is equipped with Nikon’s EXPEED image processing system. EXPEED realises excellent resolution, long tonal scale, and superb colour while also making possible fast processing of the D3000’s advanced imaging functions such as Scene Recognition and Active D-Lighting.
Scene Recognition System
This feature improves accuracy for exposure, white balance, and autofocus by analysing colour and illumination over the entire scene milliseconds prior to shooting. It then adjusts the camera settings accordingly for optimal picture quality.
The D3000 incorporates Nikon’s Active D-Lighting function which can vastly improve shadows and highlights of high-contrast scenes. Like the Scene Recognition System, Active D-Lighting utilises the 420-pixel RGB sensor to analyse a scene then adjust exposure to achieve images that closely resemble what the human eye sees. During processing, this function also restores details in the highlight and shadow areas of the image that may have been lost.
11-point AF system with Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus sensor module
Employing 11-point autofocus, driven by Nikon’s Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus sensor module, the D3000 delivers fast, precise focus over a wide area of the frame. Four versatile AF modes are available: single-point AF for stationary subjects, especially ones that are off-centre; dynamic-area AF for moving subjects; auto-area AF when you want the D3000 to automatically determine the proper focus method; and 3D-tracking (11 points) AF for maintaining focus on subjects even if the composition changes.
3.0-in. LCD monitor
Image playback and viewing menus is now easier than ever thanks to the 3.0-in., 230k-dot TFT LCD monitor. Text size is also 20% larger than on previous Nikon digital SLR cameras.
Picture Control System
The Picture Control System gives users the ability to customise key digital image capture characteristics to suit personal preferences.Six settings are available: Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape.
In-camera photo editing
After shooting, the D3000’s photo editing functions allow for in-camera retouching, reducing the need for a computer to enhance or modify images. The D3000 introduces a new Miniature effect under its Retouch Menu that modifies images to look like pictures of miniature models. Each editing function is applied to a copy of the image, with the original left unmodified.
Nikon Integrated Dust Reduction System
Dust reduction is handled by the Nikon Integrated Dust Reduction System. This is a comprehensive solution that reduces the generation and accumulation of dust as well as measures to remove dust. A key element of the solution is the Airflow Control System, which directs dust away from the image sensor. The system also includes an image sensor cleaning function that activates automatically when the D3000 is powered on or off. This vibrates the low-pass filter (located in front of the sensor) to free it from dust.
Superb NIKKOR lenses
The D3000 opens up a wide range of possibilities for creative shooting thanks to full compatibility with the extensive lineup of NIKKOR AF-S and AF-I lenses. From ultra wide-angle and micro to super telephoto, NIKKOR lenses give users the means to explore their creativity to the fullest.
Nikon D3000 Other Features
- Extensive playback options that allow viewing of images one at a time or in batches of 4, 9, and 72 as well as Calendar view that organises images by shooting date and time. A histogram display is also available that shows exposure data for a magnified area of the image.
- Highly durable shutter unit tested to 100,000 cycles.
- Long-lasting Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9a that provides up to 550 shots per charge. (CIPA standard, with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and flash fired at full power once every other shot.)
- Built-in flash with a guide number of approx. 12/39 (ISO 100, m/ft., 20°C/68°F) and support for Nikon’s i-TTL flash control.
- Support for the Nikon Creative Lighting System when using SB-900, SB-600, or SB-400 Speedlights, or the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander.
- Compatible with all NIKKOR AF-S and AF-I lenses that have an autofocus motor.
- Compatible with the optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3. There are two shutter release modes available when using the control: Quick Response mode for immediate triggering of the shutter release and Delayed Remote mode, which delays triggering for two seconds.
- Viewfinder grid lines that aid in picture composition.
- Compatible with SD and SDHC memory cards
- Includes Nikon ViewNX image browsing and editing software, which lets you organize, label, and select images as well as perform NEF (RAW) image editing adjustments and conversions.
- Photos captured with the D3000 can be used with optional Nikon Capture NX 2 photo-editing software, which features patented U Point® technology and powerful tools for quick and easy photo editing, including enhanced NEF (RAW) Editing.
|I am an Elephant by Bibix|
from An A to Z of Subjects- Week 5, E
|Mossy forest panorama by Jill Hancock|
from Your point of view
|Ship Moon and Stars by LJJohnston|
from For creative newbies only..