500px 'Prime' is a licensing marketplace with 30% cut for photographers
Photo-sharing site 500px has followed Flickr into the photo-licensing market by announcing 'Prime' - a licensing service that it is describing as 'the world's most intelligent marketplace'.
Fees will start at $250 and interestingly, the company is also claiming that the photographer will get 30% of every fee for a licensed image, no matter 'how it is bought, who buys it, or under what license'. It's not totally clear whether licenses are for single images only or might cover multiple images, but either way, a $250 license = $75 for the photographer.
500px is one of the world's largest photo-sharing sites, with more than 3 million registered users. According to a post on the company's blog, 'Our vision is to fundamentally change the way photos are licensed [and] a big part of this is changing the way photo licensing companies work with photographers.'
Under a crosshead entitled 'What's different', 500px lists three ways in which Prime differs from other photo licensing services:
- We are pricing all licenses in a way that brings dignity to the photographer, we are not joining the race to the bottom. Our licenses will start at $250.
- We are giving you, the photographer, 30% for every one of your images that we license. It doesn’t matter how it is bought, who buys it, or under what license, your 30% comes off the top.
- We are using the power of the 500px community to give buyers insight into how photos will be received and perceived before licensing them. Imagine searching images by potential vitality, hero status and visceral reaction. This is revolutionary and something only 500px can do.
500px users interested in selling their images are encouraged to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do you think of this move from 500px? Let us know in the comments.
Sep 14, 2016
Sep 12, 2016
Sep 1, 2016
Aug 29, 2016
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!