Fujifilm updates X100 firmware to v1.10
Fujifilm has released the promised fimware update for its X100 large sensor compact. Firmware v1.10 includes 22 feature modifications and additions, including correction of several issues highlighted in our review of the camera. The company has detailed the changes and revised the user manual to reflect additional features added as part of the update. Both the firmware update and the updated user manual can be downloaded from the company's website immediately.
Andy Westlake: We're delighted to see Fujifilm listening to users' and reviewers' concerns across a wide range of sources, and addressing many of the issues which have been raised over the X100's operation. On paper, Firmware 1.10 appears to resolve a number of the camera's least-popular habits, perhaps most notably its per-exposure-mode ISO and DR setting, along with its general forgetfulness of drive and macro mode settings. We're also pleased that the camera will now retain the AF frame size when switching from the EVF to the OVF and back, and can be set to display a parallax-corrected AF point for close-range work. Our X100 review will be updated once we've had a chance to thoroughly test these and the numerous other fixes and improvements.
DETAILED INFORMATION ON FIRMWARE UPDATE
1. FinePix X100
(1) Firmware version:
Newly updated firmware: Ver.1.10
(2) Details of the update
• 22 items will be upgraded.
• Among them, 5 items below (No.s 8, 9, 12, 13. and 20) were mentioned in the “FinePix X100 In-depth Review” on www.dpreview.com.
• Improvements to the operation of 6 items (from 1 to 6) have been made, and the description in the current owner’s manual has been updated. The Updated English manual PDF will be available for download from the FUJIFILM.com global website, at the time of the above embargo.
<Revised owner’s manual related items>
• 1. The following functions can be locked during shooting by holding down [MENU/OK] button over 3 sec. DRIVE/Flash/White balance/Macro (set on the Command Dial – 4 direction key)
• 2. "CORRECTED AF FRAME" menu is added in "SET-UP" menu (the last line on menu page 6) to display additional AF frame (corrected AF frame for reducing parallax) which can be effectively used for macro shots. (Factory default value is set to "OFF")
• 3. Adjustment in 1/3 step increment for shutter speed or aperture setting is enabled in Shutter-Priority AE and Aperture-Priority AE mode, on top of those in Manual Exposure mode. Shutter-Priority AE : Adjustment is controlled by rotating the command dial Aperture-Priority AE : Adjustment is controlled by moving left/right on the command control lever
• 4. In the post-view mode (display after shooting), focused area is magnified in the LCD(EVF) display when the command control lever is pressed. Cf. "IMAGE DISP." Setting must be set to "CONTINUOUS",
• 5. Setting of the role for "Fn" button is enabled by holding down "Fn" button over 3 sec.
• 6. Actual ISO sensitivity for shooting is displayed just after pressing shutter button halfway, when "ISO AUTO CONTROL" is set to ON.
< Improved items, not related to revised owner's manual>
• 7. When "eye sensor" is activated by pressing "VIEW MODE" button, "EYE SENSOR" is displayed on EVF/OVF or LCD just a while to notice the status.
• 8. Macro mode ISO sensitivity, Drive mode, Dynamic range, Self-timer mode, flash mode is maintained even if shutter speed setting or aperture setting is changed. Also, even after changing viewing mode into shooting mode or turning of the camera, these values are maintained.
• 9. The size of focus frame set through viewing EVF/LCD is maintained even after changing display mode between OVF and EVF(LCD).
• 10. When "SHUTTER SOUND" is chosen, each shutter sound is performed in each menu setting
• 11. In viewing mode, the last viewed shot is maintained as even after changing into shooting mode Cf. After another image is shot after viewing former image, memory of viewing the image is cancelled and the last shot is displayed as the latest image.
• 12. When the aspect ration of the image size is set to 16:9, the line of bright frame line on OVF is displayed with aspect ratio 16:9.
• 13. Viewing mode with Photo Information on EVF/LCD is maintained even if another image is shot. On top of this issue, deleting picture directly is enabled even in viewing with Photo information by pressing the command dial up, or MENU operation is also enabled..
• 14. Occasionally, preview image on EVF/LCD after pressing the shutter halfway might be darker than live view, according to aperture setting or brightness of shooting target. This has now been improved.
• 15. When "DISP. CUSTOM SETTING" is set to OVF or EVF/LCD, the setting value is maintained even after customising the menu.
• 16. Even for only RAW data recording mode, "RED EYE REMOVAL" setting is selectable among ON or OFF.
• 17. In MF (manual focus) setting with OVF mode, OVF viewing is activated after pressing shutter half way, even if "FOCUS CHECK"(magnifying centre of the image) is displayed in EVF by pressing the centre of the command control lever.
• 18. Displaying period after pressing each command dial (Macro/Flash) is prolonged from 1.5 sec into 2.0 sec for confirming correctly.
• 19. For resuming from AUTO POWER OFF setting, the shutter release button was required to hold down halfway for a few second. For quicker operation, resuming is activated by just pressing the button.
• 20. Image quality captured by Velvia/ASTIA mode is improved on mainly shadow tone (dark area), when dynamic range is set to 200% or 400%
• 21. When "OVF POWER SAVE MODE" is set to ON and "Fn" button is set to "MOVIE RECORDING", the camera may be unstable occasionally. This has now been improved.
• 22. Histogram display on OVF during exposure compensation is improved.
Jun 19, 2014
Jun 17, 2014
Jun 16, 2014
Oct 18, 2013
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. Holding down the top position is none other than the Nikon D850 – by a landslide.
It's been twenty years since Jeff Keller founded the Digital Camera Resource Page, one of the first websites dedicated to digital photography. Jeff, who has been at DPReview for nearly five years, looks back at the rise and fall of consumer digital cameras and his website.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017. At #2 we have another staff favorite – the Sony Alpha a9.
Rotolight has released the Anova Pro 2 circular LED for stills and video, boasting a 70% increase in brightness and what the company describes as "unrivaled battery performance."
Designer Vinicius Araújo has imagined what he believes the perfect Adobe software keyboard might look like. From customizable touch pads, to a scroll wheel, to a little display that shows the tool in use, his design is pretty compelling.
Peak Design has teamed up with Leica to release a limited-edition backpack made special for fans of the Red Dot.
A portrait of an android woman has beaten over 5,700 pictures of humans to take third place in this year’s prestigious Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize. The judges were not told the subject was an 'android' until after the winning images were chosen.
Hauling around C-Stands just got a whole lot less annoying thanks to these new Matthews shoulder and roller bags, which can hold two or three C-stand (respectively) plus accessories.
Neal Preston has shot timeless photos of everyone from Led Zeppelin, to Whitney Houston, to Michael Jackson. In this interview, he offers insights into his craft to up-and-comer Elijah Dominique.
Future prosumer Canon DSLRs might feature light-up buttons, if this newly published patent is any indication of the camera company's plans.
Sony's a7R Mark III shoots 42.4MP files at 10fps and incorporates a robust video feature set, large battery, refined ergonomics and more. It certainly looks impressive, but what is it like to use, and how does it stack up against the rest of the market? Find out in our full review.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017 – the Fujifilm X100F takes the bronze and the #3 spot.
There's never been a better time to shop for a new camera, but the number of options available can be overwhelming. In this series of buying guides we've provided customized recommendations for several use cases, from shooting landscapes to buying a first camera for a student photographer.
Shopping for a camera with a set budget? No problem! We've rounded up our favorite cameras, broken them into price brackets and picked the best of the bunch.
Looking for a lightweight compact camera that's easy to bring with you anywhere? Or maybe you're smartphone-shopping and want the one that takes the best picture. And what if you want to shoot from above? In these buyers guides we have recommendations for the best compact cameras, smartphones and drones.
Despite reports to the contrary, analysis of DPReview images by our friend Jim Kasson confirms a disappointing fact: Sony a7R III is still a Star Eater. But there may be some improvements.
As the saying goes: A photo is worth a thousand words. And if you're sending that photo through Facebook Messenger, your thousand words now look twice as nice after today's update to 4K resolution.
Get to know the new Leica CL in short order by giving our 90 second 'First look' video a watch.
Leica has just released the CL, the forth in its series of APS-C L-mount cameras. Despite sharing a name with a camera released in the mid-70s, the new CL is a thoroughly modern ILC, with a 24MP sensor and built-in electronic viewfinder.
The Leica CL is a 24MP rangefinder-style mirrorless camera, which sits alongside the TL2 in the company's APS-C lineup. We've been using one for a few days – check out our gallery of images.
While it shares a name with one of Leica's most popular and affordable cameras of the 1970s, the new CL is separated from its namesake by more than just years. We've been using one for a few days - click through for a detailed first-impressions report.
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and the #4 ranking goes to the Leica M10.
Sigma is discounting 13 different high-performance 'Art' series lenses from today until November 30th. The company is calling it an 'unprecedented' sale.
See DJI's 'AeroScope' drone-tracking technology in action. This is the system that DJI says can help law enforcement and airport (among others) track and identify rogue drones.
iPhone X owners can already accessorize their new phone with high-quality smartphone photography lenses courtesy of Moment's new lineup.
Considering buying Sigma's exciting new 16mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary lens for crop-sensor E-Mount and M43? Check out these official full-res samples first!
Vimeo has just added support for 8K HDR 10-bit content, making it possible to show up to 75% of the colors the human eye can perceive vs the usual 35%. Take THAT YouTube.
The holidays are coming, but your gear isn't cutting it? It's time to treat yourself!
We're counting down our top 10 most popular sample galleries of 2017, and sitting pretty at #5 is the Fujifilm X-T20.
See some of the most iconic black-and-white photographs throughout history brought to life by a community of colorization enthusiasts and professional retouchers in the new book Retrographic.