Nikon to offer D600 shutter replacement to address 'dust' issue
Nikon has issued a worldwide technical service bulletin regarding 'dust' issues on its D600 DSLRs.
In a surprising development (ahem...) Nikon says that it has evaluated user reports and has 'determined' that spots on the sensor are caused by dust particles which are visible in images taken in certain situations. The company will be offering all D600 owners a full inspection, cleaning, and replacement of the shutter mechanism in their cameras, free of charge and regardless of whether the original warrantee has expired.
It's easy to be cynical, but it's good to see this widely-reported issue being officially acknowledged and finally dealt with in a meaningful way. The full statement is below and you can click the link to read it on Nikon's US site.
Technical Service Advisory for Users of the Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera
Thank you for choosing Nikon for your imaging needs.
Affected Products: Nikon D600 Digital SLR Cameras
Some users of Nikon’s D600 D-SLR camera have reported the appearance of tiny spots on certain of their images. Not all users have experienced this issue. Nikon has thoroughly evaluated these reports and has determined that these spots are caused by dust particles which may become visible when the camera is used in certain circumstances and/or with certain settings. It is a well-known fact that the presence of dust particles cannot be completely avoided when using a D-SLR camera even after normal sensor cleaning procedures, because of a number of factors including components moving at high speeds when images are taken, the use of interchangeable lenses, and the different environments in which a D-SLR camera may be used. As part of its customer-service commitment, Nikon is providing a customer-service measure to reduce the potential impact of dust particles on images taken by its D600 D- SLR cameras.
The solution: Nikon is making available to all owners of D600 cameras (even if Nikon’s product warranty has expired) this customer-service measure, which includes the inspection, cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera, FREE OF CHARGE as well as the cost of shipping D600 cameras to Nikon and their return to customers. Once again, please understand that regardless of this service, your D600 camera as is the case with all D-SLR cameras, will continue to require normal periodic sensor cleanings.
To have your D600 camera serviced free of charge please follow the steps below:
1) Click on the Schedule Free Service link [above].
2) On the following pages, you will need to provide the serial number of your D600 camera and your contact information.
3) Then, you will be prompted to create and print your pre-paid UPS return label and packing slip.
4) In shipping, please secure the D600 camera in a plastic bag inside the shipping box with several inches of quality packing material on all sides of the D600 camera. Please send your D600 camera and packing slip only. Do not include any lenses, batteries, memory cards or other accessories. Please do not ship in the original display box (It will not be returned).
5) Drop the shipping box off at any UPS facility. (Visit https://www.ups.com/dropoff for hours and locations.) You may also arrange to have your shipment collected by a UPS driver. Nikon will notify you by email when your D600 has been received at Nikon’s repair center. Nikon will notify you by email when the service is complete and ship your D600 camera back to you free of charge via UPS Ground.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. Nikon remains committed to providing only the highest quality cameras and components, and we hope that you will continue to choose Nikon for your photography needs.
If you have any questions, please contact Nikon Customer Relations by phone at 1-800-Nikon US (1-800-645-6687), 9AM–8PM EST, Monday to Friday (closed certain holidays) or online here.
Feb 15, 2017
Feb 25, 2017
Feb 20, 2017
Feb 16, 2017